Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Newest private label "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Our own David Abbe finally broke down and agreed to let me be the caretaker of this beautiful Illinois 16s, 17j, mdl 10, A H Winston, Herkimer, NY.
After considerable effort on his part the watch is running like a charm. He had to replace the balance staff,poise and adj the wheel, replace the crystal with a White's crystal, find a period case and hands, and lastly a good COA.
What do you think?

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Thank you David!

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted

IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Ed,
Very nice PL dial/////
Tony

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Not to sure if I have looked this one up before or not but if you are interested;

1920 census Herkimer NY
Alfred Hamma Winston born Dec 1886 in New York, married to Nellie H, son William & daughter Ellen, son Afred Hamma Jr, daughter Mary, listed as a owner of a jewelery store.

Alfred Sr.'s parents were William & Lucy according to the 1900 census & they lived in Bainbridge.

Alfred was in business even into the 1940's, this is from the 1940 Herkimer city directory

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Here is a tragic story about Mr. Winston. It is from the Oct 18, 1910 Post Standard Syracuse NY

article

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Ok, this is the last thing I will post about the Winston's. This is from the Feb 2, 1947 Syracuse Herald Journal.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
First, That is a beautiful true bridge Illinois movement which I am sure is original to the dial by virtue of its unsigned plates. The hands are the best I could do under the circumstances and I believe the case is perfect to present this little beauty. The new mainspring I put in it really cooked it up to speed so it was a very easy adjustment as the balance was perfectly poised when I re-staffed it.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Tom,
Thanks for the extra information on the Winston's.
It is difficult to trace one when the son has the same name.
Alfred Sr. was apparently also in the Home Defense Unit in Herkimer County from 1917.

David,
The watch was set with the clock on this site Saturday. It is running dead even with it this morning. It hasn't skipped a beat!
I feel lucky to be the current caretaker of this fine watch.

Oh, I have to give credit to David for the great photo's, mine are not anyway near as nice.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Ed

Do you need more info on either one? I see where jr was born 03/14/1916 & dies 09/19/1991

Tom

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Tom,
I plan on doing some more research when I can get to Herkimer. But, by all means if you want to, go ahead. You are able to get much more information on the internet than I have been able to do.
I am focusing on Alfred Sr, since the watch dates to when he was the owner of the jewelry store.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Ed

Alfred Sr. was born 12/25/1886 & died 05/1974 in New York State, his ssn if it helps 057-28-4842, his last residence was 13350 Herkimer, Herkimer, NY.

If I find more I think I will email you so I don't just keep adding to this post.

Tom

posted
Ed, are you still interested in that Little Falls NY dial?

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Eric,
Yes, I am still very interested in the dial.

IHC Life Member
posted
Ed...very nice watch and Dave did a beautiful job. Hope you'll be carrying it!

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
posted
Ed, I replied to that picture you sent me weeks ago with the light Gothic script (Dave Abbe's?), not sure if you got it.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Sorry Eric, I didn't receive it.

posted
Beautiful watch Ed. Wear it in good health. David you did a magnificent job as always.

IHC Member 1193

Posts: 216 | Location: Key Biscayne, Florida in the USA | Registered: October 21, 2008
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Ed,
My newest private label watch. Illinois-12s-15j-grade 228-2515019-Mealy, Baltimore

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Picture of the movement

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Tony

Looks like your jeweler was either Judson Mealy born 1885 in Maryland, or Samuel Judson Mealy born 1887 Maryland in 1930 they are both listed as a merchant jeweler in Baltimore. They both have wives named Helen so I am not sure if they are one person listed twice or two different people.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Looks like there were several Mealy's working together at the store, this is from the 1912 Baltimore city directory.

Tom

directory

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Tony,
Nice movement and dial. I like that big M on the dial, it shows some imagination on someone's part.

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Edward,
You have a fine looking watch there!

David, I LOVE the hands you used, it really made the dial POP!

The choices made were PERFECT!!!

Great watch!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004