WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Watch storage...looking for something like this... "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Tom Weinstock
posted
I'm looking for something like what is pictured below. I'd like to be able to store my watches vertically. Any ideas?

Posts: 496 | Location: Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: March 10, 2012
IHC Life Member
posted
Is there an advantage to storing pocket watches vertically? I keep mine in a machinist's chest. The shallow drawers each hold about 24 watches lying flat in the dial up position. Opening the drawers, I can look over my collection. To me, the dial is the most interesting part of the watch (without opening the back).

Posts: 149 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: September 23, 2009
posted
Any craft store should have thick foam. You could easily slice into it and stand watches in the slots. Cheap and simple Tom. My wife goes often, I will see what I find.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Buffalo, New York in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of Tom Weinstock
posted
Sounds good...thanks, Andy.

Chris: I'm looking for this so I can fit the watches in a safe. The display boxes I have are too large for the safe as is the briefcase storage case I have.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Tom if you look for a jewelers supply house you should be able to get what you want.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Thomas, there is a very specific reason that we DO NOT store pocket watches vertically. That is because IF you drop them, the shearing shock of the "sudden stop" is about 10 times more likely to break the balance staff. An expensive and sometimes life-ending issue with these precision pieces under our care.

Therefore, we generally store them on "flat", and to that end, Desmond Lundy, one of our very own sells these cases very reasonably here at;
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...91029012/m/410109017

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
David... I should send you a check for the lessons. Thanks as always. (just a figure of speech ok?)

Posts: 5101 | Location: Buffalo, New York in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2009
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
I use the snap cases like you mentioned here and they work great. I do however put 2 cotton handkerchiefs in the bottom and overlap them to cover the top of the watches to keep them more snug and to also reduce the amount of scratching from the plastic / felt sprayed inserts. I like them stored on their back so that I can easily see what I have and can also get to them easier.
Dan

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Tom Weinstock
posted
David, thanks.

What are the measurements of those cases?

IHC Life Member
Picture of Tom Weinstock
posted
never mind, David...I see the measurements in th the other thread. Smile

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
These come in three sizes, 12s 16-18, amd 18-20 (some of my well used examples below)

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of Tom Weinstock
posted
I've been in touch with Desmond. I'm going to buy some of the 16s cases from him. Smile

posted
This one is made of wood with a plexiglass cover.

Nice latch in the front

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011

posted
Snaps and nice handle (handle not to be used when filled with watches - yikes Eek)

posted
This one is like the one David has, but has a glass lid (cost around 30-40$ on Fleabay)

18s are a tight fit

IHC Life Member
Picture of Tom Weinstock
posted
Jon, I have similar cases to your bottom photo. I bought 2 on Amazon. The 3rd was a gift form my wife. Unfortunately, they don't fit in my safe. Looks like the cases from Desmond will.

Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
I've been using those little socks they sell for newborn babies, they're cheap and you can get them in any dept. store.

Gary

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
Thomas, i use stackable plastic trays with drop in inserts in my safe, each holds 6-12 watches depending on the insert used and they are made to stack on top of each other. I purchased a bunch of them years ago in the jewelry district in Los Angeles. I think i still have a bunch left, they measure 14 3/4 x 8 1/2 x 1 and are black plastic. I will pull them out tomorrow and post a picture if you're interested. I would have to figure the shipping cost for you.

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
Actually, they are alot like the ones Jon posted but without the lids

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
I am also selling these pouches here that will not stain your watches and will keep them from getting scratched.

pocket watch pouches

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006