• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Carrying pocket watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
To those that carry their pocket watch everyday what do you use to carry the watch with. Watch chain? Cloth strap? Old shoelace perhaps?

Thanks

Tim

timothy white

Posts: 8 | Location: Florida in the USA | Registered: January 19, 2019
posted
Hi Tim, I don't carry a pocket watch every day but when I do
I use a fob & strap or a belt strap for jeans small pocket.

Regard
Rick

Posts: 535 | Location: Innisfil in Ontario, Canada | Registered: November 04, 2014
posted
or belt strap

Posts: 535 | Location: Innisfil in Ontario, Canada | Registered: November 04, 2014
IHC Member 1110
posted
I carry everyday, and use a chain with a leather bow protector.I used to use fobs, but they end up putting dings in your case back.I make my own bow protector straps out of my old leather welding gloves, they are nice and soft but really tough and last a long time.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
I use a short chain , most often I wear "bib" overalls and the short chain works out just right, for keywinds it gives me somewhere to put the key I like a FOB for regular jeans .

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
A "FOB" is usually a metal decorative piece or a metal advertising piece that is affixed to the chain on a "Drop-Down" short length of the watch chain or on the opposite end of a leather strap.

They used to be given away to folks back in the early 1900's thru the 1960's to advertise a company they worked for, a union, lodge, school they belonged to or other affiliation they participated in. They were in different shapes from round to square to oval, etc....

Here is a picture of one such "fob".

regards,
bb

Picture 1

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1110
posted
I used to collect tractor and heavy equipment watch fobs. I had about a hundred ,but lost interest in them. So I sold them, used the money to buy another railroad watch...hopelessly addicted I guess!

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
I found a nice selection of single and two color straps, supple but strong, custom lengths, reasonably priced at https://americantimekeeper.com/accessories

strap

Posts: 23 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 13, 2016
IHC Member 1725
posted
Hi Timothy,
Here is a picture of a hard plastic case that is made to carry a size 16s pocket watch. I can not remember where I got it from but, maybe some of the other guys will be helpful.

Posts: 376 | Location: Conover, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2012
IHC Member 1725
posted
Picture #2

Posts: 376 | Location: Conover, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2012
IHC Member 1725
posted
I am almost embarrassed to show this but, this is what I really like to carry my watch in and it came with an eyeglass cleaner cloth in it and now it is holding my Hamilton 950E Mainliner that I bought from Buster in 2014. It looks just as good as the day I bought it! I carry it wherever I go daily but, I do not carry it to work outside in the yard or anywhere that humidity or sweating could cause moisture.

IHC Member 1725
posted
here it is!

IHC Member 1725
posted
Okay you can stop laughing now, it is square and fits my hand good!! It gets the job done!!

IHC Member 2030
posted
I like that Tim.
Functional and effective
As long as the Hamilton makes a walkabout.

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
posted
When me and the wife carry our watches we use a chain with a leather bow saver.

Posts: 13 | Location: Bullhead City, Arizona in the USA | Registered: March 01, 2019
IHC Member 2264
posted
Simple black leather strap, worn daily.

Regards ..... Gary.

Posts: 31 | Location: London in the United Kingdom | Registered: August 12, 2018