Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton arrows out dial "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 2245
posted
I just received a 1948 era 992B. It has a display back with a non matching bezel for the well used number two case it is housed in. I assumed when I bought it that it would have a melamine dial. I was a bit surprised to find it "may" have on "arrows out" dial. I saw in another post that these dials were only offered during the mid thirties. I will assume it is just another put together watch but I'm happy with it. I'll post a pic if I can.

Posts: 35 | Location: Ohio in the USA | Registered: February 22, 2018
IHC Member 2245
posted
Arrows out dial?

IHC Member 1338
posted
That's a pretty rare dial and belongs on a 992 Elinvar. See discussion abt it in the Hamilton section

Rare 519 Variant Dial

quote:
Bob,

You're welcome as well as all that have given thanks.

That's a great looking dial which is definitely legit. I would describe it as an "Arrows Out" Heavy Gothic DS porcelain-enamel dial. It's a variation of the 519 dial except the five minute markers are triangular rather than rectangular. As far as I know there is no specific number for it. The dial is an uncommon variant used on the 992E for a very short time.

In conversation with Lindell he explained these "Arrows Out" dials were used by Hamilton approximately circa 1931-1937 plus or minus a year. Another variant of this dial was used on Illinois movements. The Illinois version looks the same except it is signed "Illinois" in an arch rather than the straight-line Hamilton, otherwise they are identical in appearance.

RR

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
IHC Member 2245
posted
The information I obtained from this site and the post you refer to above were the clue I had that this dial was not ordinary. I have a nice E model in a #10 case that runs very well with a dial that has a bit of damage. I may have the dials traded out. Some porcelain dials were still being supplied in '48 weren't there?

IHC Member 2245
posted
My E model dates by number to 39/40 so I guess even it would not technically be "correct" if the dials were traded.

IHC Member 2245
posted
Showing damage to 992E dial.

IHC Member 2245
posted
I wouldn't be interested in selling the arrows out dial but I am curious what value it might add to a watch with it in place. Thanks for any information.

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Without any hairlines and/or damage, it would have a value of $125-$150.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1338
posted
I'd swap out the dials if it were me. That's a no brainer.
That watch is too nice to have a dial with center damage like that
that arrows out dial could have come on that watch, no one can say one way or the other. Hamilton and Illinois always had old stock, there was no "first in first out" they just replenished the shelves

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
IHC Member 2245
posted
Thank you very much for the helpful comments.