Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

R.D.L. Lever pw "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi Folks

Does any one know of, or have info on the R.D.L. company of Germany.

Gordon

Posts: 184 | Location: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: February 02, 2007
posted
Hi Gordon

Please give more informations.
A picture might say more than a thousand words.

Regards Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
Hi Gerald

Here are some pics.

Regards

Gordon

Posts: 184 | Location: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: February 02, 2007
posted
Gordon

Thank you for the pictures !

I have no clue on the 'RDL Lever' Label (so far).

The movement made in Germany is one of the 'dollar watch' type.
It was made by a firm named "Thiel" ('Gebrüder Thiel';"Brothers Thiel") in Ruhla ,Thuringia district in central Germany. The movement was named 'Regular' produced over a long time and made in at least ten variations. Yours should be from the post WWII era (balance with teeth became plain round after 1950). After the war the German Democratic Republic GDR nationalized the firm, renamed as UMF - Ruhla.
When you look at the movement you can easily understand that Thiel was a brass-plate manufature at the beginning in 1862. The first watch they made was a toy watch. (1891). From this time on they made simple pin-lever escapement watches. Like the american 'dollar watch' they were made in huge numbers.

Regards,
Gerald

posted
Hi Gerald

Thanks for the info. I had my suspicions that it was a dollar watch type.

Was the single jewel on top of the balance a signature of movements from Thiel?

My movement was made in the period 1945-1950?

Gordon

posted
Gordon

Those simple watches were made with and without this jewel(I just noticed it after you mentioned now). I recognized the movement by comparing with other pictures.
I think it was made before 1949(foundation of GDR) but did not know when this variation of regular started. Do you have any clue on the history (the case or a story ?)

Regards,
Gerald

posted
Hi Gerald

Thanks for your further insight.

The watch came from a watchmaker friend as a doer upper for my practice. I believe it originated from the estate of a deceased local watchmaker.

The only info on the case is inside the back cover; the word Foreign and a jewellers mark FS 12/38. I assume that means a full service in December 1938.

Is it unusual for a pin pallet watch to have a jewel on the balance and only on one side?

Regards

Gordon

posted
HI Gordon,

I happen to have a watch movement exactly like yours. On close examination I discover that the cock jewel on mine is nothing but red paint obviously put there for eye appeal only.

Regards
Peter

Posts: 192 | Location: Vicenza in Italy | Registered: February 04, 2009
posted
Gordon

The movement series 'Regular' was produced from 1923 to the 90's. (from 1950 marked UMF).
The foreign mark suggests import to UK and this would have stopped with the beginning of WWII.
Considering all known facts the production of this watch was close to 1935.
The dial label should be british.

Regards,
Gerald

posted
Hi Peter

Well spotted. I have had a look at the balance cock under higher magnification and it does look like it is red paint.

Do you have anything to add on place of manufacture, name of maker, period of manufacture etc?

Do you have a dial and case for yours?

Can you post some pics?

Regards

Gordon

posted
HI Gordon

No I'm sorry, all I have is the movement and I know nothing about it other than that it is a cheap "dollar watch" type. It is exactly like yours exept that it doesn't have any writing on it except the letter "m" close to the escape wheel, under the dial (if there would be one).

I personally don't think it is the kind of watch worthy of spending too much time on. I got it in a box of horological junk.

Regards
Peter

Posts: 192 | Location: Vicenza in Italy | Registered: February 04, 2009
posted
Hi Peter

I agree that they are not worth spending time on except I am using this and others like it as practice watches before servicing my more classy ones. It also gives one a perspective of how classy other watches are in comparison.

Regards

Gordon

posted
Hi Gents,

If you're still following this thread by any chance, I can shed some light...

RDL stands for R Dixon Long, director of the Americo-Swiss Watch Co based in Melbourne, Australia - also called the "Wonder Watch"

If you Google R.D.L. Lever (with the full-stops), you'll find some acrhived advertising from newspapers in the late 20's and 30's.

I have a RDL Lever Special, and it's dial actually says Swiss Made, so it may be a later model. It's still in it's box and has the orginal purchase receipt (it was my Great Grandmother's), so while it's not valuable as a timepiece, they are still VERY difficult to find any information on.

I wonder if this little snippett of info opens some more doors for anyone? I'd like to know more about the watch myself!

Natalue

Posts: 1 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: July 16, 2011