Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Unusual Hampden marking? Photos attached "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1016
posted
I just picked up a couple Hampden 18s movements. They both have broken staffs and I intend to fix at least one of them. Not sure which makes more sense. My understanding is that staffs are hard to find for these 18s Hampdens?
The 1st one is a PL movement that has very unusual (to me) markings. It is a 17 jewel and it looks like "P.C. Peyton, Durant Jewelers 1902" on the movement. SN 1461623 I've never seen the date on a movement before. The dial references PC Peyton , Durant, Ia.
The other one is marked "Dueber" at the top of the plate and 17 Jewels, Canton, Ohio and of course safety pinion and the SN 1012695. This dial is metal and simply says "DUEBER HAMPDEN"

If these are in any way unusual or interesting to others I'll post some photos tomorrow when I have light.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Mike both are please post some photos. That Metal dauber Hampden Dial is unusually marked in itself.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Mike its not hard to find staff for those
few members have them here for sale as I just fix few myself #1720 or 1721 staff will fit just check the hairspring callet.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Member 1016
posted
The one above and here are the model II

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
Here is the model IV

IHC Member 1016
posted
Movement

IHC Member 1016
posted
Closer shot of name

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
I had my eye on these too Mike.
Good buy! Keep us posted when you get them cleaned up and running.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Mike the metal Dueber Hampden dial is a latter replacement probably from the 1915-1925 period. The 1902 is unusual but I think that might be the jewelers address or telephone number. Interesting!

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Assuming the folks who wrote the book spelled Peyton wrong.

Cedar County, Iowa Durant Centennial Book

22. R. & L Bakery: This site was the barber shop of P. C. Payton until 1897 when it was occupied as an office by Dr. V. W. byrnes. This structure was later moved and the present building was erected in 1915 by Louis Trede. This was the location of the Chris Rohlfs and Fred Crull Meat Market until 1934 when Ed Christensen moved his grocery store to this building. He sold in 151 to Mr. I.S. Jones who operated a grocery store until his death in 1953. The R. & L. Bakery now occupies the building.

23. Dr. Wyman W. Weeber, D.O.: In 1897 P. C. Payton opened a jewelry store here and operated it until 1903 when the building was purchased by Louis Trede and operated by him as a jewelry store until his death in 1937. His nephew, Geo. H. Trede, then operated the store until 1945 when he moved to a new location. Dr. Weeber opened his osteopathic office here in 1953.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Member 1016
posted
Dave, great minds think alike!
Deacon, probably is a replacement dial, or possibly a low priced option.
Thanks Lorne, I imagine P.C. Peyton is P.C. Payton

My thought on these two is that they are probably not worth a great deal. I'll look to restore them if I can get staffs reasonably.