Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

1899 21J 16S Crescent St (done for now) "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1736
posted
I have no reason to believe this is not an original or near original combination. At a minimum, it has been together in this configuration for a very long time. The case was seized shut with skin oils and verdigris. The base metal case has only one set of deep marks that match this movement.

The odd colored verdigris in the hairlines on the dial matched the color of the scum on the case.

But, as best I can tell, Roman Numerals were out around 1893 and this watch should have a DS dial.

I have "Engineers" dials in both DS and painted DS... but think these dials date to the 20's and 30's.

Should I hunt down an Arabic dial with red outer track and a larger spade hour hand with a pointer minute hand?

Whatcha Think?

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Member 1736
posted

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Member 1338
posted
Paul; Nice4 movement! Put an era correct DS arabic dial on it & you're all set. Post a WTB for one here on 185 they're easily found and not a lot of money.

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Paul, that is the Jeweled Motor ("Safety") Barrel type. WURRA NICE! Cool

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1736
posted
Dave,

I'm looking for a main spring part#

The post on how to put the winding wheel back on the barrel arbor and twist open by holding the winding wheel and barrel saved my bacon. I had to use rubber jawed anphenol pliers to hold the slippery barrel/can... held my breath and applied torque to the winding wheel with my finger and thumb until she let go. It was a tight race between getting her to break loose or leave permanent tooth marks in my finger and thumb.

The main spring is actually dated with a graver... 5/29/47... it has taken a permanent set and will only power the watch for 12 hours. Unless this is a part number followed by the year.

I probably have a spring, but have not had a chance to sort through them yet and am not sure which part number I'm looking for.

This is one I'd prefer not to do by measuring out the width and strength.

IHC Member 1736
posted
Then I have this dilemma... I picked up this stem set 17J adj PS Bartlet at about the same time figuring I would use the case and dial for the Crescent Street project.

Problem is, I've been carrying this watch for a month now and it has neither gained nor lost a single second in 30 days.

IHC Member 1736
posted
Does this 2 piece cut center dial qualify as a DS dial? or should I look for a 3 piece DS dial.

IHC Member 1736
posted
Considering the condition and performance of the one, I'm inclined to leave it as is rather than part it out for the Crescent Street. (which was the original intent when I bought it.)

IHC Member 1736
posted
And the case

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Paul, with the regulator looking to be dead center to the scale and it keeping time like that, it's doing exactly what it was designed to do.....keeping reliable and accurate time in someone's pocket.

Add to that fact it's housed in a swing out case to keep out dust.

If I were you, I'd let it stay 'as is', and doing the job it was intended to do. You can't get any better than that, in my opinion.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 1338
posted
Paul; IMO NEVER part out or take apart for parts to use a perfectly good all original watch like that if like Mark said it's doing a great job as is. A watch like that is easily worth more than the parts I would think. The "pseudo-sunk" dial as I like to call 'em is also correct for that P.S. Bartlett as well. Your earlier Crescent St needs a porcelain double sunk dial to be correct anyway. Put it back in your pocket.

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
IHC Member 1736
posted
I agree with all the above. No way I could part out a watch this nice. The book is so unfair to these 17J adj watches. 65/100/200...

I brought it home, as is, for $70.00.... an incredible bargain.

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
...and most watch makers (including Web Ball) said all you need to have a perfect time keeper is 17 jewels in the first place. Wink

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 1736
posted
OK, so I went through my parts boxes and came up with a distressed dial and a case I think works for this 1899 time piece... No complete watches were injured or harmed to complete this project.

IHC Member 1736
posted
I had to file the lever slot. Easy on off. I really like the way these cases clean up.

IHC Member 1736
posted
The old main spring would only power the watch for 12 hours... A #2227 was a match for the one that came out. Not sure if it is the correct spring for this motor barrel... I'll know in 12 hours.

IHC Member 1110
posted
Nice job Paul, you did the right thing!That Montgomery dial is absolutely right for that nice old Crescent St.That PSB is a great carry watch, too nice to part out.Those 21J Crescent Streets are easily one of the best RR watches ever made, but don't get the respect they deserve.I have one a little newer, 20 mil. SN, and it keeps perfect time, a "set it and forget it" watch!!!

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Paul, you are fine with that spring. This model 1899 is a beauty. Certainly a proud carry/RR piece. Let it run a couple days then check timing again.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1955
Picture of Michael P. McNamee
posted
That's gorgeous, Paul. Wow!

Posts: 1088 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: October 15, 2013