Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Rockford Private label "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
My Elgin Newhall dates to the mid 1870s so we are both lucky to have a piece of that History timeline.

AGAIN, what a nice thought to make a 100 year "Historical walk across North America in time with the Watchmakers who got us there".

I think I could do some writing on that if we all collected our wits, submitted pictures of our "private Label" and "Coommerative" watches and agreed to champion what would be a "fun tale to tell" through a trip across America through short tales of each significant watch!

I think most adults enjoy memorable watches as much as they enjoy a well trauined pet. So if the "dog whisperer" can sell a millionh copies in first print, why not the same for a "Watch whisperer of time".

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
David

Here is a little interesting info on our watches. SC Newhall was Stephen Cyrus Newhall, his father was Nathaniel Cyrus Newhall & Stephen also had a brother William Fred Newhall. Nathaniel was a clockmaker, & Stephen & William are both listed as jewelers. In the below copy of the city directory for Lynn, William is listed as a clerk at Stephen's store.

Tom

Directory

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Here is an Illinois private label that always had me puzzled. The name on the dial is Jacob Ramser, of Rock Island, Illinois...

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
posted
But the name on the movement is H. D. Folsom, also of Rock Island. I sent an inquiry to the Answer Box a while back and they said they were sure the dial had been replaced at some time. What do you think?

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
posted
Here is a Rockford private label with the name Bellows, of Stoneham, Mass. on the dial. OOps, this dial belongs to the movement above.

posted
How can a person get so muddled up? That's what I would like to know. Here is the Illinois dial.

posted
Don't tell my wife I did this. It would confirm all of her suspicions. Here is the Folsom name on the movement:

posted
Here is a private lable Waltham wristwatch with the name somewhat obscure. Looks Like W. G. Slade, Urbana, Ill.

posted
Finally, here is a Fredonia with the name Brauns Bros., Upper Sandusky, N. Y. on the dial and movement.

posted
Here is the movement. It interests me because Fredonia is the godfather of the Peoria company.

posted
It has an unusual hinged case, too.

posted
Just one more... a Rockford 18s with the name E. P. Durando & Co. of Chattanooga, Tennessee on the dial.

posted
No I.D. on the movement. Just Rockford Watch Co., but kind of unusual because it is marked Adjusted to Heat and Cold.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
When this sorta scruffy "Monkey Wards/Sears Special came in I had to admit someone had a sense of humor.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Steve

On your Rock Island watch, the two watchmakers were even on the same street at the same time.

ramser

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Folsum

clip02

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Steve

Your Brauns is actually Upper Sandusky, Ohio I believe & it appears the brothers were Edward & Paul Brauns.

The Durando was a Edward P. Durando in Tn.

Tom

posted
You guys are really a fountain of information. Thanks again!