Internet Horology Club 185
Rockford Private label

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1086047761/m/6901005223

January 18, 2009, 20:37
David Abbe
Rockford Private label
My Elgin Newhall dates to the mid 1870s so we are both lucky to have a piece of that History timeline.

AGAIN, what a nice thought to make a 100 year "Historical walk across North America in time with the Watchmakers who got us there".

I think I could do some writing on that if we all collected our wits, submitted pictures of our "private Label" and "Coommerative" watches and agreed to champion what would be a "fun tale to tell" through a trip across America through short tales of each significant watch!

I think most adults enjoy memorable watches as much as they enjoy a well trauined pet. So if the "dog whisperer" can sell a millionh copies in first print, why not the same for a "Watch whisperer of time".
January 19, 2009, 00:02
Tom Brown
David

Here is a little interesting info on our watches. SC Newhall was Stephen Cyrus Newhall, his father was Nathaniel Cyrus Newhall & Stephen also had a brother William Fred Newhall. Nathaniel was a clockmaker, & Stephen & William are both listed as jewelers. In the below copy of the city directory for Lynn, William is listed as a clerk at Stephen's store.

Tom

Directory

January 19, 2009, 21:54
Steve Gossard
Here is an Illinois private label that always had me puzzled. The name on the dial is Jacob Ramser, of Rock Island, Illinois...

January 19, 2009, 21:56
Steve Gossard
But the name on the movement is H. D. Folsom, also of Rock Island. I sent an inquiry to the Answer Box a while back and they said they were sure the dial had been replaced at some time. What do you think?

January 19, 2009, 21:58
Steve Gossard
Here is a Rockford private label with the name Bellows, of Stoneham, Mass. on the dial. OOps, this dial belongs to the movement above.

January 19, 2009, 21:59
Steve Gossard
How can a person get so muddled up? That's what I would like to know. Here is the Illinois dial.

January 19, 2009, 22:01
Steve Gossard
Don't tell my wife I did this. It would confirm all of her suspicions. Here is the Folsom name on the movement:

January 19, 2009, 22:04
Steve Gossard
Here is a private lable Waltham wristwatch with the name somewhat obscure. Looks Like W. G. Slade, Urbana, Ill.

January 19, 2009, 22:06
Steve Gossard
Finally, here is a Fredonia with the name Brauns Bros., Upper Sandusky, N. Y. on the dial and movement.

January 19, 2009, 22:08
Steve Gossard
Here is the movement. It interests me because Fredonia is the godfather of the Peoria company.

January 19, 2009, 22:09
Steve Gossard
It has an unusual hinged case, too.

January 19, 2009, 22:19
Steve Gossard
Just one more... a Rockford 18s with the name E. P. Durando & Co. of Chattanooga, Tennessee on the dial.

January 19, 2009, 22:21
Steve Gossard
No I.D. on the movement. Just Rockford Watch Co., but kind of unusual because it is marked Adjusted to Heat and Cold.

January 19, 2009, 22:25
David Abbe
When this sorta scruffy "Monkey Wards/Sears Special came in I had to admit someone had a sense of humor.

January 20, 2009, 00:07
Tom Brown
Steve

On your Rock Island watch, the two watchmakers were even on the same street at the same time.

ramser

January 20, 2009, 00:08
Tom Brown
Folsum

clip02

January 20, 2009, 08:56
Tom Brown
Steve

Your Brauns is actually Upper Sandusky, Ohio I believe & it appears the brothers were Edward & Paul Brauns.

The Durando was a Edward P. Durando in Tn.

Tom
January 20, 2009, 15:19
Steve Gossard
You guys are really a fountain of information. Thanks again!