WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

D. Gruen & Son Mfg by ASSMANN 21J Adj HCIP Take a Look! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1338
posted
D. Gruen & Son Mfg by ASSMANN 21J Adj HCIP

This is same watch on P 498 of Shugart Book?
Argentan plates, Gold escapement, gold moustache lever and escape wheel really a high end timepiece. Have no idea what it's worth or how rare, maybe someone here knows?

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
IHC Member 1338
posted
Perfect dial on this one too

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
IHC Member 1555
posted
An excellent find Tom, that one not long after the start of this Company ("D. Gruen & Son") after they left from Columbus Watch Co. Production of theses started approximately around 1894 in 19 and 21 jewel types in 16 and 18 size both hunter and open face at serial number 62,001.

They also made a wind indicator in and around the 65,xxx serial numbers. These earlier models were produced in Dresden Germany by Assman for "D. Gruen & Son" and are not to be confused with being made in Switzerland (they started getting product from there in 1898 when another Brother George come on board)and the Company name become "D. Gruen, Sons & Company. For some reason they all seem to get lobbed in together (the Swiss and German produced product).

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Tom, Gruen Assmanns seem to fetch good prices, but I don't follow them or have any in my collection. High-grade German pocket watches fetch high prices, probably because there are enough German collectors to push demand ahead of supply. The only comparable I can give you is that I bought an 18k OF Julius Assmann at a German auction in 2018 for $2400. It has an interesting provenance. It is in pristine condition. It has the usual Glashutte-type movement In contrast, your Gruen/Assmann appears to be in a base metal case. It appears less than pristine. It has a split plate that differs from the usual Glasshutte layout. I am guessing you watch would be worth around $1000 if it is in good running order.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Member 1338
posted
Ethan; Bila Thanks for the info!

Ethan, I think you are about right on the price given what it is, one on the big auction pretty similiar was listed for 1550 OBO and it sold best offer probably right around that range.

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

posted
I read somewhere (I can't remember where) that, after departing the Columbus Watch Co. around 1893, Dietrich Gruen and his son set up their new company and operated for a few years in Columbus, Ohio, before relocating to Cincinnati. There is a good chance your watch was assembled and sold in Columbus.

Let me know if you ever want to sell it. I'd be interested!

Posts: 156 | Location: Columbus, Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 16, 2011
IHC Member 785
posted
If you go to pg 498 of the 2018 complete price guide you will find your watch.

Harv

Posts: 158 | Location: Sacramento, California USA | Registered: June 26, 2006