• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help need on repeater's gong "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi, I have a Touchon 29J minute repeater that works fine, however one of the two gong is missing.Therefore does not sound right.
The video of the repeating action can be found here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YH1VUnbA6g

I am wondering if anyone could give some advise on this repair? Can a new gong be made and reattached? what are the chances of finding such a replacement part?

here is a photo of the gong block with the missing gong

Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Engsoon.

missing gong

Posts: 3 | Location: Singapore | Registered: December 24, 2008
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Ho,

Nearly all have two gongs, however there are some that use a single, from what I see yours if changed the complete gong assy has been changed otherwise I would expect to see a hole or evidence from the deeply set gong in the block, I have seen then missing and the silver solder broken free from misuse. A few interesting point are that double are normally set one high one low to achieve the separation the single one in yours looks to exit central from the block and beautifully formed so the entire gong assy would have been changed the block shown looks orignal wihtout modification, now if that is the case you may find a gong or make one to replace a mangled one but where would you find a block to mount it , if that was made by hand and the person had the skill to make it he would have not made the pair. If it was mine I would defiantly seek as many examples possible, I could before changing anything it may well be correct, there is a definite sound difference produce from the different sized hammers striking enough to read the time also the single gong is perfect length to pick up with good ring tone both hammers a excellent job if it is not original!

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Ho,

I agree with Chris, it looks like that is the way it is supposed to be and after watching the video, it sounds like it was designed to work that way. I heard the 11 strong single strikes from from the the hammer near the ring base for the 11th hour, 3 double hits for the 45 minutes, and 14 single strikes from the hammer at the outer end for 59 minutes. All creating a diferent tone. It even seems the delay between the two hammers were designed that way.

Further research may determine that this is in the original condition with which it was made. An outstanding timepiece I might add.

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
I cannot add much other than to say that your repeater seems to have been designed to have just one gong, unless the present assembly is itself a replacement, since the block holding the gongs does not have a hole for a second gong. Except with respect to this watch, I have never seen or heard of a single gong minute repeater, but I make no claim to special expertise. I have attached photos of my Touchon minute repeater, which has two gongs, but is of a different design than yours.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Close up of gong.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
posted
Thanks, for all the insightful advises. This was my first observation as well that this repeater is designed to work on one gong.

But after closer observation and looking at other Touchon repeaters, I think that the other gong could have been broken off and this side of the block grinded smooth. The reason why i come to this conclusion is because the end of existing gong is slightly bend up at tip for the second hammer to strike it. Secondly, sometimes the chime can be muffered due to the higher end play or vibration on the minute strike. A good manufacuturer like Touchon will not allow this.

This is the picture of the complete movement.

From Ethan's repeater, my gong block looks the same as his.

Here is another picture of the other side of the gong block with the gong.

This is a beautiful repeater and I hope to restore it to the original state. Seeking further advises if any.

Thanks.

other gong

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
I have a theory that might confirm or disprove your conjecture that your watch originally had two gongs, but that the gong "block" had been ground down to eliminate the hole into which the missing second gong slipped. That block has two screws. I assume they are set screws holding the gongs in place. If the one existing gong is only held in place by the right set screw, and the left set screw serves no other purpose, it would appear that your conjecture is correct. However, if the left set screw currently serves a function, such as holding the existing gong in place, that would suggest your watch is a one gong watch. Please remember that I am not a watchmaker, that I have never removed a screw from a watch, and that my theory may be all wet.

posted
Hello,
Just to add my thoughts on the comments:
When hammers stike on gong rods the gong rods are set in blocks and the hammers strike in close proximity to the attachment point and never strike on the ends of a non-supported rod. Your watch is missing a gong rod, whether it was broken off, removed or filed away its still missing. The repair can be made and dependant on the tone desired each gong rod is of a different diameter. If you have an example that is complete you can measure the dia of each gong rod and dependant on which one is missing you can manufacture one of the same dia as the sample size. Trimming the end back very cautiously will achieve the desired tone, be sure to start with a complete length so it almost touches the block on the "free end".
dave

Posts: 110 | Location: Independence, Ohio USA | Registered: June 24, 2006
posted
First, A happy new year to all reading this thread.
Thanks for the input Dave,
unfortunately I have no skill in repairing the watches.
Anyone in this forum can help or point to some lead in the repair? Or is are there still spare parts from the manufacturer still in existence?