• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Collecting on a limited budget "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Since I havnt won the lottery or came up with a "million dollar" idea....
I have what's called a very limited budget. I only buy when it's not taking away from my family. I bid on 20-40 items only to win 1 or 2 near the opening price. Mostly these are the rejects.
Of late I've bought some hunter cases that were missing parts, particularly bezels. I have bought some lots of bezels. Some have fit but it's mostly a craps shoot. That's when I decided to take these cases and make a bezel......

Posts: 112 | Location: Missouri in the USA | Registered: May 16, 2008
posted
I started out in life a laborer. Finally I got my foot in the field of machine mechanic when I was about 26. My current employer hired me as a mechanic but one day they were short handed and had me push the green button on the CNC lathe.
They saw I was smarter than the average bear so the forman decided to show me how to "work" (program) this machine. It didn't occur to me that I would have to "become" a machinist also. Been learning for the last 2 1/2 years. Turns out I like it.
This is my first attempt at making bezel. It is for a 12s silverine hunter case. I turned it from stainless steel.

Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Bravo if all works out you might have side job
to make some bezels Smile

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
Uhhhh..... Thought my iPhone was a smartphone but can't figure how to post the pics with it. Any ideas? Click to add doesn't work.

Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Darren,
If your pics are too big, there's an app for pics, Simply Resize, it's free, easy too use.
Gary

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
Thanks Gary. However the problem comes when I click the "click" to... It doesn't do anything except ask for file description.
I tried to copy paste but in the text field it doesn't give an option to paste just select.

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Darren, I might be oversimplifying this, but when you get to the choose file option, just click on choose file, and select the drive on your computer that represents the external source, (your camera phone).

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
12s

posted

posted
18s

posted
case

posted
another

Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Great work .

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Nice!

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
closer

IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
You better keep this job just for the lathe use. A lathe that will make bezels and cases is going to be very expensive. Having the attachments, a fellow could probably do it on an 8 mm WW but it would take fore ever.
I have to agree with Peter & Dave "Nice Work"
A programmable lathe, WOW that's more than my income for a year.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
posted
Note that the 12s(the first one I made) is not on the case. Mix up of numbers cause the groove to be about .015 to .020 too small. Hard to enlarge this bore after it is cut off the stock. I put aside that project for the 18s. The 18s was little bit of a collaboration. I made the profile and the crystal step(.032x.03). I got busy and one of our best machinist (Jay Beaumont) offered to cut it for me. He cut it to .003 under and it snapped on great.