• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

I Need a Movement Photo "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I need a clear photo of the movement for an 18sz.,Elgin, B.W. Raymond, 19 jewel, Wind-Indicator.

I recently bought such a watch and I'm a bit concerned that the wind-indicator pinion seems to cover about half of the words, "19 Jewel." The pinion sets in a little cavity that has been cut into the movement, where "19 Jewel" is written. It seems a little sloppy for a high-end watch but... then again, wind-indicators might have been produced in such small quantities that Elgin didn't want to re-stamp and damaskeen it's existing plates. I just hope that it wasn't done by someone with a lathe and an idea.

I looked through some of the Illinois books but illustrations of wind-indicators are lacking.

Anyone have one with a clear photo?

Thanks.

Posts: 986 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: June 19, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Really seems strange, doesn't it Peter?

Congratulations, you figured it right. In fact these watches are so uncommon, since they actually made so few of them what the factory did was modify existing movements and drilling through the word "Jewels" on the barrel bridge. Like you, the first time I saw one I could not believe it. The word "Jewels" becomes "Je(--)ls" on these watches to allow for the indicator drive gear! All 18-size Elgin Indicators were made that way. I can show you a 23-Jewel Veritas, their very best watch with the same strange-but-true situation.

Below, you'll see a similar 21-Jewel from my collection with the odd but factory original and correct modification for the wind indicator mechanism.

Elgin B. W. Raymond 21-Jewel Wind Indicator...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I am most, most appreciative and relieved.

This is one of my more expensive watches and it would not be out of the question for some crook to modify a regular movement into a wind-indicator. He would still, of course, have problems getting a dial etc.

But... my heart dropped when I saw it because it actually looks like an afterthought. I can start breathing again.

I now have 4 wind-indicators and, I'm convinced, that they will go up in price and scarcity. They were made in small numbers and their fragility probably sent more than a few to an early grave.

This one needs a case. It's housed in a Silveroid case with a bezel for a case-back. A true abomination. I don't think they were factory cased, but I'd like to put it in something a bit nice and of the proper time-period.

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Very good information, thank you Lindell.

Now how about showing to dial too. Please.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Thanks Sheila,

I really love wind indicators!

Ed Uebrall and Kent Singer did a great "Railroaders Corner" article on these Elgins which is in the August 2005 Bulletin issue.

Just for you, here's the up-front view of this rascal...
Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Lindell,
That's a real BEAUTY! Thank you.

mmmmm mmmmm mmmm

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
Hey..... it looks JUST like mine (without the hairlines and the chips)! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes