Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Burlington Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
Could anyone date and have information about a Burlington Watch, 16Size, sn 4,247,737, 21jewel, adjusted 6 position watch? Thanks

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
From information contained in Bill Meggers' excellent book on Illinois watches, your movement is a Grade 107, open face, 21 jewel movement and is a Model 7, if pendant set and Model 9, if lever set. Manufacture date should be about 1923. While the movement should only be marked "adjusted to temperature and positions", Bill listed the Grade 107 to be adjusted to five positions. There are other sources that show these watches as being adjusted to three positions, but it seems that Illinois was very careful about never publishing the exact position adjustments for any of the watches made for Burlington mail order. This is the main reason why asking the question "were the 16 size Burlington approved for railroad service?" generates so much controversy. They were almost certainly accepted on the Santa Fe, but the case for most other U.S. and Canadian railroads isn't very clear.

Ed Ueberall
NAWCC 49688
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
posted
Ed
Thanks very much for the information about the Burlington Watch. Were the Burlington movements always cased in a Burlington case? I found one cased in a "Keystone J. Boss 14K 25 Years" and I can find no markings on the case to indicate that another movement was installed.

Watch

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Wayne,
From the contemporary advertising that I have seen, all Burlingtons were cased in "Burlington" marked cases. However, cases wore out much faster than movements, and if the owner purchased a new case to replace the worn out original OR if the replacement case had originally housed an Illinois movement with the case screws in the same positions as the Burlington, the recase might not be apparent.

Ed Ueberall
NAWCC 49688
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
posted
Ed
Thanks for all the information about the Burlington watch - even though its not in a Burlington case its going to be a keeper for me. And it keeps good time, so I plan on wearing it occasionally.

Burlington

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
My little 12s 21j Burlington is one of my best timekeepers. Good carry watch. High regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002