• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

If one drop of oil is good, then... "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I purchased an Elgin military timer in the auction section of this site from Tom Brunton last May. When I received it, the first thing I noticed was that it left a small puddle of oil wherever I left it. This past week I took it apart to clean and oil it (properly), it was the first chronograph I took apart so when I put it back together and it actually worked, I was very happy and relieved.
I take digital photos of the watches I work on to aid me in their re-assembly so I will show the progress here.
First, notice the oil, not heavy oil but gobs of dripping oil

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
This was under the ratchet and crown wheels

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
more oil Roll Eyes

posted

posted
Look at the puddle on top of the mainspring barrel

posted
The dial side wasn't as bad

posted
Back together and running perfectly, with that tiny balance wheel it has quite a beat.

posted
The dial shows some bubbles, I'm thinking it may have been from the excessive oil.

Now, where do I find some hands ?. There were no hands on this when I purchased it.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Wow talk about excess oil there is enought there to lube hundreds of watches. Hey Ray I remember seeing a NOS dial like this I will see if I can find it for you, give me a couple days.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
posted
Thanks Rob

IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Opps sorry Ray I found the ones I was thinking of they are not the same. I will still keep an eye out for one though.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Member 1555
posted
Rob, sorry to but in on your discussion with Ray, but I was wondering if you would like to sell some of those dials, 2 off the Black & 2 off the white, depending on price?

Best Regards,
Bila

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
posted
Those are some nice dials Rob. Is there anything you don't have Smile

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Hi Ray,
It looks like your timer was only down about a 1/2 quart of oil. Smile I have a few of those black timer dials, and they all have some kind of staining on them. I'm wondering if that's the way they aged? Maybe from having plastic crystals?

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
posted
Brian, That's a possibility since they probably had plastic crystals from the factory. They sure used a heavy brass dial plate for the dial though.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Ray
I thought maybe I had a dial you could use both the two I have look just like yours. Can't find any hands.

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007