• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Bent minute hand "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I'm not sure how to straighten this out without risking breaking it. Is heat required and if so how to apply and how much? Thanks...Paul

Posts: 122 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland in the USA | Registered: February 25, 2011
posted
Paul, when they're that thin and the bend is a sharp one it may snap no matter what you do. The good news is that there's plenty of Elgin hands out there.

You could try a single candle or small oil lamp, heat it to the point of discoloration, and then gently reshape it using two tweezers while it's still hot.

If it works, then you'll need to re-blue the hand.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
posted
Thanks Eric

Posts: 122 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland in the USA | Registered: February 25, 2011
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Paul,

I have been successful simply bending them back into shape with my thumb and forefinger, but do it very gently, a little at a time. You can then do the final straightening, again very, very gently, with a small pair of needle-nosed pliers. But if it does break there is still Elgin material available.

Let us know how it goes.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Lindell: Thanks, I have two options. Paul

IHC Member 1110
posted
Hi Paul, I can vouch for Lindell's plier method.My 18s gr. 180 BW Raymond had a mangled minute hand when I got it, I straightened it using needle-nose pliers, I was sure it would snap off but I went slow and easy, and it came out just perfect, you can't tell it was ever bent! Good luck with it, Ted.

Posts: 1322 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Remove the hands from the watch and it will be much easier to gently press our the bend without stressing the joint to the center post hub.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Paul, Bend the darn thing back in shape, if it breaks I have a drawer full of them.

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
posted
Dave: I think that is one you worked on for me.

Phil and all: I did just that, bent it real slow and easy with a couple of screwdrivers and voila.. worked like a charm. I'll keep your drawer in mind. Thanks guys. Paul