Internet Horology Club 185
Bent minute hand

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1086047761/m/6733949467

August 15, 2011, 07:53
Paul Arsenault
Bent minute hand
I'm not sure how to straighten this out without risking breaking it. Is heat required and if so how to apply and how much? Thanks...Paul

August 15, 2011, 17:28
Eric Unselt
Paul, when they're that thin and the bend is a sharp one it may snap no matter what you do. The good news is that there's plenty of Elgin hands out there.

You could try a single candle or small oil lamp, heat it to the point of discoloration, and then gently reshape it using two tweezers while it's still hot.

If it works, then you'll need to re-blue the hand.
August 15, 2011, 18:27
Paul Arsenault
Thanks Eric
August 15, 2011, 18:58
Lindell V. Riddle

Paul,

I have been successful simply bending them back into shape with my thumb and forefinger, but do it very gently, a little at a time. You can then do the final straightening, again very, very gently, with a small pair of needle-nosed pliers. But if it does break there is still Elgin material available.

Let us know how it goes.

Lindell

Wink

August 15, 2011, 20:48
Paul Arsenault
Lindell: Thanks, I have two options. Paul
August 15, 2011, 21:09
Theodore J. Brown Sr.
Hi Paul, I can vouch for Lindell's plier method.My 18s gr. 180 BW Raymond had a mangled minute hand when I got it, I straightened it using needle-nose pliers, I was sure it would snap off but I went slow and easy, and it came out just perfect, you can't tell it was ever bent! Good luck with it, Ted.
August 16, 2011, 10:05
David Abbe
Remove the hands from the watch and it will be much easier to gently press our the bend without stressing the joint to the center post hub.
August 16, 2011, 16:54
Phillip Sanchez
Paul, Bend the darn thing back in shape, if it breaks I have a drawer full of them.
August 16, 2011, 19:05
Paul Arsenault
Dave: I think that is one you worked on for me.

Phil and all: I did just that, bent it real slow and easy with a couple of screwdrivers and voila.. worked like a charm. I'll keep your drawer in mind. Thanks guys. Paul