Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Gruen Display "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi all,
I have come across these 2 early Gruen display stands, for both wrist and pocket watches. I was wondering if anyone had seen this type of item before and could tell me about them, year, use, what type of retailer would have them etc.? I believe they are made of brass and both have a wonderful patina on them.
Thanks for any and all information,
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
posted

posted

posted

posted
2nd stand

posted
2nd

posted
2nd 2

posted
These items were in an antique store in Saskatchewan, and I stated I needed to check on what they actually were, before I made a decision on buying them or not. It appears one side is for a w/w and the other a p/w., and they are both about 12"long x 10" h x 6" w.
Thanks,
Bill

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Sorry Bill I can't provide any information on them but they sure are interesting!

Thanks for sharing them,

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5225 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
2 splendid watchmakers advertising pieces Bill Confused but I suspect brass plated pot metal from the looks of the chips and cracks, but spectacular nevertheless Eek I think they are very scarce , and quite wonderful Wink and wish they belonged to I only Big Grin

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Yes they are striking !! I would tap/thump on them to make sure they are metal [plaster castings would have the same weight and today's applied finishes can be very deceptive]. If so, they appear to be what is called "spelter" instead of bronze or brass. Still nice find !!

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1418
Railroad Time Inspector
posted
Bill I remember such critters while playing in the store basement as a young fellow, most were a plaser cast but some were a bronze? brass? material. The object was to focus the customers attention to their watch or products. Mostly for window or wall case as they were to high for the standard show case. Quite a find since most were thrown out as lines changed and a dealer promoted new watch products.

Posts: 105 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 05, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
I agree with everyones comments. If they are still available. You should purchase them.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
posted
Thanks for all the comments, now I have to make my mind up as to but or not.
I also had never seen these before, and although I don't have any Gruens thought it might be a couple of nice pieces.
Thanks again for all the input,
Bill

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Bill: Great find. If you are not interested in purchasing them or would like to make a modest profit I am interested in purchasing them from you.

Ernie Loga.

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Bill:

A great find, I wouldn't hesitate about buying them. Good luck.

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002