Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Need Help Identifying This Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of David Johnson
posted
I recently purchased this Swiss gold hunter but am having trouble identifying the manufacturer with certainty. Hoping some of you experts can help.

Case measures approx. 50mm wide. Movement is roughly 42mm. I would put it at either a 14 or 16 size.

The dial reads "Systeme Glashutte".

Posts: 606 | Location: Dade City, Florida USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
Picture of David Johnson
posted
The dust cover is marked "Ancre Ligne Droite Spiral Breguet Systeme Glashutte Levees Visibles Double Plateau 15 Rubis".

Picture of David Johnson
posted
The inner back cover reads "Souvenir 14K Van A. Van Den Heuvel & Zoon Te Geldroh 1897 -1922 708447. There is also what looks like a small raised kangaroo present.

Picture of David Johnson
posted
The movement is unmarked and very clean.

Any interpreters out there?

It seems like I remember reading at somepoint that "Glashutte" is a Swiss city or town. I don't know for certain if this was a watch manufacturer or not. Maybe like the name "Elgin" was.?.?.? I plan to list this watch on eBay but would really like to have my fact straight before I do. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Picture of Stephen L. Russell
posted
I think it is a German town (Glashütte)
..but a Swiss watch or a watch built with Swiss parts in Germany. Sort of a A.Lange quality knock-off .

Is the Kangaroo a squirrel perhaps...that is swiss.

Posts: 849 | Location: Victoria, British Columbia Canada | Registered: December 05, 2003
posted
This watch is a pretty nice example of a wannabe.
Glashuette was well known as the home of Lange & Söhne,Nomos,Muehle,Assmann,Tutima and other famous manufacturers before the wwII.
The town Glashuette is in Germany. After ww the production in the soviet zone came down till only the "GUB" was left.
So, the new manufacturers that startet with the traditional names after 1989 are synthetic with exception of "Tutima" that survived in Ganderkesee in west germany. But this is another topic.

Because of the famous names Glashuetter watches had, there were some (today unknown) manufactures in Switzerland that produced high quality watches with the typical "Glashuetter" 3/4 plates, and some other technical characteristics before the ww.

A good an well known name sells better. And because these watches were not produced in Glashuette, the watches were signed "System Glashuette" to avoid legal problems with the manufacturers in Glashuette
The "System Glashuette" pocket watches were often in heavy gold cases. That is why the most did not survey the ww.
To bad, that your watch is missing its "swan neck" on the balance cock.
Your watch has been sold by A.van der Heuvel in Geldrop (Netherland)
You should keep this watch.

I used the "ue" in Glashuette, because i dont know if you can see the german "ü" in your browser.
Regards
Holger

Posts: 16 | Location: Augsburg, Germany | Registered: May 24, 2005
Picture of David Johnson
posted
Stephen,

You are probably right about the squirrel hallmark as I am not familiar with Swiss hallmarks. The animal is on its hind legs which gave the appearance of a kangaroo. It is quite small and not very distinguishable.

Holger,

Thanks for the huge amount of information. Your explanation is very helpful! I had noticed that the "regulator whip" was missing and that is always a downer. Fortunately, the watch is keeping near perfect time and needs no adjustment. I only have a couple of swiss watches in my collection focusing mainly on American pieces. That is why I have decided to sell it. Thanks again for your invaluable input!