• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

bunn special sixty hour ? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I ran across two of these watches in a pawn shop today! one says sixty hour over the words bunn special, the other says motor barrel 60 over the words twenty one jewels! My question is is one more desireable then the other? i can only afford one, Roll Eyes thanx! oh, the cases and dials are in the same shape give or take and the price is the same on both.

Eric Kroon

NAWCC Member 151367
Proud IHC Member 183

Posts: 185 | Location: Sedro Wooley, Washington USA | Registered: January 02, 2003
posted
Of course, buy em both....

but the motorbarrel 60 is the lower production one... it is called a TYPE I

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Eric,

Depending on price I very much agree with Terry, they are both worthwhile. THE TYPE I is a fairly low production at only about 9,100 made.

The other with "Sixty Hour" above "Bunn Special" on the train bridge sounds like a TYPE III which is more common at 86,000 produced. The TYPE III also has no "60" after the words "Motor Barrel" by the crown wheel.

All things being equal the TYPE I is indeed the more desirable. Serial numbers would always help to narrow it down in a situation like this. If you can post the serial numbers we can give you more conclusive information.

Go get 'em Eric!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
I suppose just for the sake of completeness (is that a real word?) we should mention the Type II, which was a transitional marking between the Type I (Motor Barrel 60) and the type III (Sixty Hour, on the train bridge). The Type II had both markings, the Motor Barrel 60 and the Sixty Hour. Here is a brief chart of the production quantities for each of the types in 21 and 23 jewels, as compiled by Bill Meggers:

.....................21 Jewels.........23 Jewels
..........Type I.......9,100.............1,350
..........Type II......7,000...............500
.........Type III....86,000............12,000

Ed Ueberall
NAWCC #49688
IHC #34
http://members.aol.com/stdwatch/

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
posted
just to piggyback on some other comments and info....

There have been many 'discoveries' since the publication of Megger's book. There have been examples seen that change these numbers slightly, but maybe not enough to alter the sacarity rating.... point is numbers subject to change... and information is being gathered all the time for research of these and other items...

Not sure of exact timeframe of disclosure of the modified numbers, but it is being worked on...

but back to watches at pawn shop.....

buy one, put one back for later.... lay it away..don't tell us were it is .... Big Grin Big Grin

posted
Already done! Cool

Eric Kroon

NAWCC Member 151367
Proud IHC Member 183

Posts: 185 | Location: Sedro Wooley, Washington USA | Registered: January 02, 2003
posted
congrats.... tell more about em...

IHC President
Life Member
posted
Eric,

Good for you! We're all delighted to see the plural in your post. Ed, Terry and I along with many others will be interested in the serial numbers and pictures.

These are great watches and welcome additions to any collection.

Looking Forward,

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
What happened is i worked a deal on both watches and he wouldnt let me take one home so there both on layaway. it will be a month or so until i get them, but will post the numbers when i do, sorry fellas im only thirty something and still working to keep the wolf from the door Smileone day i will be retired and have all the money in the world like you guysSmile ERIC

Eric Kroon

NAWCC Member 151367
Proud IHC Member 183

IHC President
Life Member
posted
We're not rich guys Eric we just love these watches.

All of us will be looking forward to seeing what you scored. It would have been interesting to do all the research so you'd be sure of what you have coming.

Now you REALLY DO look forward to next month!

Lindell

Wink