Tools
Reply to Post

Chris Abell will make it well... "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Chris Abell will make it well...

Recently, Mark Cross sent me a series of images showing the "before and after" of two watches he sent to Chris Abell for repairs. You'll have no problem figuring out which is the "before" and which is the "after" because it's readily apparent. See what you think of these and let us know your thoughts!

An Illinois Key-Wind, Key Set dial comparison...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

The case also went through some changes...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

You can see the difference in this movement...

IHC President
Life Member
posted

And finally, up front on this early Waltham...

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
THANK you, Lindell, for posting these before/after photos for me. Smile

These two watches came to me as gifts from a friend who lives in upper New York State. They were as bad as they appear in these photos. Both are 11 j, the Waltham is the model 1883 I've mentioned in another thread, the Illinois a KW/KS. Both had broken balance staffs, and from all appearances hadn't seen a watch makers bench in decades.

The case on the Waltham (as can be seen in the last set of photos) was absolutely black from tarnish. They were much worse in hand than these photos show.

When I saw these photos after Chris finished the watches, my jaw absolutely dropped. Seriously. Eek

They are a joy to behold, and I am carrying the 1883 just about every day. Heavy as the dickens, big as an alarm clock, and a great time keeper.

There was a bit more in the way of timing error in the Illinois, but it really wasn't worth it to have Chris go digging any deeper on that one, as it will be more of a conversation type piece in my collection....but DANG if it isn't keeping great time hanging on a hook in it's display bell.

Needless to say, I'm tickled pink to have these two looking and acting like new watches, and to see them brought back from EXTREME dead was a shock.

I really wanted to share my pleasure in what Chris did for me, and HIGHLY recommend him to you. The photos speak a thousand words.

Thank you again, Lindell! and thank YOU again, Chris!!! Big Grin

HIGH regards! Mark Big Grin

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
Very, very nice and excellent workmanship.

Roy.

Posts: 463 | Location: London in the United Kingdom | Registered: January 11, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Chris, Great Job as usual! When are you "gonna fess up" about your little elf helper? Smile

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Those are absolutely beautiful restorations!

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I just traded the Waltham movement for a nice Elgin FT movement which fit perfectly in that huge case. From the looks of the extra sets of case screws, the Waltham movement wasn't the first inhabitant in the case as it was. The FT matched up with one set....so apparently an Elgin had resided in the case sometime ago in the disant past.

The 11j keywind continues to fascinate and please me, so it remains a good example of its type of watch, and of it's era for my collection! Smile

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002