Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Itty Bitty New England or Seth Thomas? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Below I added pictures to this OLD post and hope to get an idea which it is?

Hi all, I would like to know if anyone can tell me if this is American. Tell me what you think.
Thanks

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
case

Sheila

IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Sheila,

This appears to be a European watch with a cylinder escapement. All American watches that I've seen used lever escapements.

I bet your little watch was quite an eye catcher when it was new. It also would have been quite affordable.

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
posted
Actually I just won it at auction. I figured it was a cheap Swiss, but didn't have time to ask. I have had a new interest in Art Nouveau cases lately, and thought this was close.

Thank you for the information.

I must be getting better at this, because I can pick out a cheap watch now!!!! HORAY!!!

Sheila

IHC Life Member
posted
Shiela,

Thanks for using the word "cheap". I wanted to so bad but didn't want to offend. Smile

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Sheila (and John) -- this is a tiny little American watch by the New England Watch Co. It has the very interesting "duplex escapement". It looks like their 6/0 size Series S or SS movement. New England made a lot of these inexpensive, but very attractive watches with high relief embossing or enamel work. Nice find!!

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Jerry! I didn't look close enough. Now that I looked again, the escape wheel teeth look nothing like a cylinder escapement.

posted
Jerry,
Thank you for the information.
One other thing, it says that it's only about 1 1/4 inches across, is that right? Is that a 6/0?
The Case is listed as Sterling Silver.

John, Hope you can do something with the pictures. Let me know, and Thank you.

Sheila

IHC Life Member
posted
Shiela,

It's been taken care of and now works okay with Mozilla.

posted
John D,
You are a sweetheart, Thank you!

Sheila

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I was just looking at a reproduction of some New England Watch Co advertising pages from 1911. They show a small 10-ligne "Elf" movement (smaller than 6/0), a 15-ligne "Cavour" movement (about 6-size) and larger sizes. At 1-1/4 inches for the cased watch you may be looking at an Elf. Among the many fancy cases, the ad shows your exact case available in gold-filled ($11.70) or sterling silver ($9.00) for the Cavour size. This pattern may have been available for the smaller size at some other time. The "little golden book"** shows two movements that look like yours - one labeled as a 3/0 size and the other as a 6/0. I do not collect these and am not sure what the true story is on the movement sizes.

** my name for the excellent "American Pocket Watches, Identification and Price Guide, Beginning to end ... 1830-1980" by Ehrhardt & Meggers. Originally published in a small size with gold covers, the prices are obsolete but the information is more correct and in many ways more complete than Shugart.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Sheila,
Here are a couple of scans of a 6s New England Watch Co. Case I have in a parts drawer.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Scan #2

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
posted
The movement in Sheila,s first picture looks alot like a Seth Thomas, i have a 6 sz that looks similar but has the Seth Thomas name on it.Interesting little watch Sheila, nice find.

posted
Jerry,
I found the Elf in Shugart's with little else, so your information, and the AD is great.
I guess I will just have to get the "Little Golden Book" too. I thought I had most books, must have missed this one. Thank you for the great information.

Brian,
IN A PARTS DRAWER! no no no. Take that baby out and give her some air! Big Grin Wink let her know she is being talked about. lolol I like the watch, looks nice to me, not a parts drawer item at all.

Kevin,
Seth Thomas? Well, you pros will have to figure this one out. As soon as I get the watch, I will take some close-ups and post them. Yes, I am learning my camera, a little.

Thank you all for the information, and John D, perfect job on the photos!

Bless,

Sheila

posted
Update--
Now maybe you guys can tell me what this!
It was between a New Enlgand and a Seth Thomas.
Any suggestions?

Sheila

itty3

posted

Sheila

itty2

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
It still looks like a New England Watch Co. product with the duplex escapement.

posted
Here is a picture of a gilt Cavour.. About 3/0 size. As you can see it has N.E.W. co on it also.. Duplex escapement..Case is sterling and marked NE inside a heart..

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Sheila,
Here is a pic of one of my New England Watch Co. parts movements.
I don't believe Seth Thomas made a duplex escapement pocket watch.
Brian C.

posted
Jerry, Yep, I think your right!

John, Nice watch, and mine is sterling too.

Brian C I think Keven was just noticing that it looked similar to one he had. I feel pretty sure it's a New Elgland too.
(going to add your picture here a little lighter so people like me that can't see it will be able to.

NOW FOR ANOTHER QUESTION..........

I noticed, in the Waterbury Watch Co. pages (2004 Complete Watch Guide) a watch a lot like the one John posted. It's on pg. 415, an Oxford, in the T series. Jerry mentioned the ELF. Well, Waterbury made an ELFIN watch and is in the S series as well.

SO, is it a Waterbury or a New England? YES, I know Waterbury became New England in 1898.
So how do I find out which one it is?

There are no letters to indicate the series.
What would be your best guess?

Waterbury or New England?

Brian's Picture..........

Sheila

AAAubb1