Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin 10 size "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1357
posted
Dexter st.7 jewel key wind key set with original dial and hands appear to be so also.In an 18K hunter case probably not mint but very close.s/n 492282.Have an opportunity to buy at 1250.00 What do you think? I think the value is only in the case. Roger

Posts: 4092 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Kinda steep.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1357
posted
I think so too David.That is the open volley though.We weighed the watch and case together and it came in at 2oz. There was a discussion on here on how to ascertain the weight of movt.and case and come up with a answer as to what the movt.weighed therefore knowing what the case would weigh.I can't seem to find it.I will keep looking. Thanks Roger

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Well . . . I just happened to have a Dexter St all complete even with the hands. To calculate the "true value", I performed a high precision "weigh-in" with my pilfered 1966 vintage Pitney Bowes postal scale. This allowed a journey through` my usual grandiloquent thought process to develop a “value”! The result is:
Mvt weight: 1.187 Ounces
Case/mvt you measured; 2 OZ
Net Case w glass and ferrous stuff; 0.813 OZ
Net case (less 15% for stuff); 0.69105 OZ
Case in Troy (Gold weighting) OZ; 0.629863
Value @ $1800/Tr OZ $1133.75
@0.800 (18K); $907.00
Dexter St. (if working) $75.00
Total $982.00 Insurance Value

Not too far off after all! So long as gold stays up there. I would barter for $750.00.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
David is right on and I would keep the combination for another higher grade movement to swith with....that is if you can get it for $750 or so....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Member 1357
posted
Thanks David and Jerry,great advice.I think I have recouped my 12.00 dues many times over just on this.I will see what I can do on this item.It is a beautiful case and the watch started running on the second turn of the key.Many thanks again!! Roger

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Roger,

If I may...

I would caution against trying to "wrangle" any other movement in your case. The Key wind Dexter St. has only one case screw as you can see by Dave's pictures.....

If you look close at Dave's pictures, in the top right picture of the gilt movement on the edge/rim of the movement beside the barrel, you may notice a small silver colored teat... That fits into a drilled small hole that will be inside the case rim of the case itself.

One can get into big trouble when trying to adapt other movements into a case that was made for another particular model Eek

There is a lot of pleasure one can get out of an original combination even though it may not be a high~grade and it will be worth more when it is sold if it's left as factory original Smile

A lot if not all the early movements with one case screw showing will have the teat on the edge of the movement. Down thru the ages with people "recasing" these early movements or swapping them out case, movement, etc., they have to end up filing that teat off to fit another/different case. Then they will never fit the case the way they were intended and may even effect the running of the movement Frown

Just so you will be ahead of the game Wink

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1357
posted
Thanks Buster,I did not know this but upon reviewing Daves photos I see what you are talking about..Thanks,again! Roger