Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Information on this Waltham/Please!!! "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Hi,

I thought this was different, I got outbid on this one, but I still would like to know about it if you can help.

I did get the information from the Waltham database, but I don't think it tells the entire story. If you can add anything to it, please let me know.

Serial Number 1763881

Sheila

Waltham 1763881

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
What little I can say is it is a 14s 1874 model, came with both the heart shaped or tadpole regulator & the simple regulator, it was adjusted to positions.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
TOM!!!

That's it! I knew I had been shown this before, but until I saw your mention of the TADPOLE I was at a loss.

I think that maybe I had also been used to looking at Getty's lately, and something seemed to be missing. Like a click maybe!!! hehehe

Sometimes my brain just doesn't click either huh?

Thank you!

Sheila

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Sheila, I see this design as the Spearhead of the Whole series of designs that Waltham evolved from the 1874 design all the way through 16 sized models; 1888, 1899, 1908, 1912, 1945 series. The variations in Plate cuts had little to do with the train construction. The major changes were the addition of a Motor Barrel 30 years ahead of the rest of the industry, and the eminent durability and serviceability of this model. It was (I think) one of the "Nashua Group" (of Geniuses) designs. It became the "Backbone" of the Waltham Watch Company. I think the model 1874's simple, reliable but delicate appearing design gave proof of the technical and spiritual prescience in that group of engineer/designers.

Had Illinois seen fit to continue refining their Getty design rather than "caving in" to the "de-facto Industry Standard" stuff, they may have been the ones buying Hamilton later on.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
See, this is where I'm still a beginner.
I still see a circle, and still have a problem with the names. Let alone what they are called.

I have worked on this for what seems an eternity, and it just doesn't stick. I have made up a lot of pictures to learn, but I don't, and I sincerely want to know what a wheel train is and what you mean by the pivot locations, and the similarity.

SO, if you have time, please show me EXACTLY what you mean. I have learned a lot from you, and some of it has been forever planted in my brain, thank you for that, but I need to understand what you mean by the above.

I have many examples of watch parts, but not all of them are the same for sure. Can you help me get a handle on this one in particular?

My wall of watch parts, is still a struggle.

Thank you,

Sheila

Wheel Train-w

IHC Life Member
posted
Sheila...It may be easier to visualize the workings of a watch if you look at an inline clock movement. Instead of having everything bunched up in a small area (necessary to package a watch), you can see the individual parts laid out in a row. The winding mech. is about the only thing that will be substantially different.

Roger

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Sheila, I remarked the picture so you can follow from my photo to your diagramp. All three movements in my picture have the same "Wheel Train" pivot locations for the wheels as marked;
Pic = Your Picture
CW = Center Wheel
3W = Third Wheel
4W = Fourth Wheel
EW = Escape Wheel

This means the basic design is the same.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Oh my Goodness! I see it!

My picture is different, but I see what you mean.

Wow! that is great! sorry for my hard head, but his explains it very well for me.

When I look at the different watches, and compare, it makes all the difference!

I have no idea why I couldn't see it before, but I sure do now. It's finally clear.

Funny how sometimes it takes that ONE SPECIAL WAYS of seeing it, to work.

David, Thank you so VERY much.

Roger, Your right, I even purchased wooden watch parts to see if I could make them "come alive" for me, but it didn't help much. So now I can use them for the display I wanted to make.

Sheila