WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Case/Bow question, 18s Illinois swing, pendent set "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1736
posted
Hi all,

A pendant set 1883 lives in this case. One side of the case neck has a plug for the bow to rest on, the other side is open and allows the bow to ride on the stem sleeve.

It is secure, but sloppy... if I try to tighten it up, it interferes with the sleeve.

Did someone blow out the plug in one side of this case? Is there a solution?

Thanks,

Paul

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Member 1736
posted
bad side

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
I repaired one with metal epoxy once, search "metal epoxy".

It worked fine, stiffened the bow but I don't think it would stand up as a carry case.

The hole wasn't completely blown out so there was still some support left.

You could also try a bow that fits better.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I have seen these "empty" bow pivots "filled" with a Minute Hand centerpiece (where the hand was broken off) and the bow end is retained short of hitting the winding stem. I suppose a (very) small washer would do the same.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1555
posted
Otto Frei or Cousins or any of the watch suppliers will have pendant bouchons Paul, you can purchase in nickle plate or brass. These assortments will have various sizes so select one that will be an interference fit and press in, problem fixed

Regards,
Bila

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Member 1736
posted
Thanks a mil guys,

I chucked up a piece of brass stock and was able to free hand a bouchon.

Looks great and will serve for a long time.

Paul

IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Good job Paul!

I guess that is what was done to this well used railway case.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011