Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 992B sold in Canada Question "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Robert M. Sweet
posted
Hamilton 992B sold in Canada Question

Did Hamilton buy Canadian made cases and sell as a complete watch or did they ship the movements to Canada and they installed the movements into
their own cases? Thanks in advance.

Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
posted
Robert,
My understanding is the movements were shipped into Canada and cased there...

I have a shipping case with a 992B serial number pictured maybe somewere on the boards. I will try to post it again tonight...

of course I am always looking for other opinions and documentation...

posted
Terry,
Thanks, do you have any information as to who made the special dials?

Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Robert,

We sold a nice one just last night...

EARLY 992B, CANADIAN PACIFIC PORCELAIN DIAL, CANADIAN CASE!

That case is a Canadian "Fortune / Sturdy" which evidently was manufactured using dies from the previous Hamilton Model 7 Case. The dial is flawless porcelain-enamel with an extremely wide outer chapter.

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Lindell,
Thanks, Tony bought a super nice watch.

As you mentioned, quote, "The Canadian Government required Canadian-Made Cases on watches sold there!", I was just curious how this process took place, i.e. mating the movement to the case.

Robert

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Looks like they used case screws... Big Grin

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Lindell,
Sorry, correcting my mistake, its "where" not "how". Smile

Robert

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Seems to me I've heard there was a facility in Canada but that recollection is a bit foggy. I'm sure someone will be able to fill in the details.

Wink

posted
as promised....

far as I know, Hamilton made the dials...

posted
Terry,
Thank you, looks like a 1946 era movement holder.

Do you know of other Canadian Case Mfg. other than "Fortune" that housed the 992B?

Robert

posted
The Fortune BRAND case seemed to be very popular, in different styles...

Like the Style Lindell posted,
and other styles "like" the mainliner... and have seen a few other styles, but hard to describe.

Cashier also seemed to be a popular case in Canada, but I don't have much info.

posted
Thanks,

Robert