Tools
Reply to Post

Check Your 992B's . . . "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
If you happen to have an early Hamilton 992B in a Case Model 11 with a HG (Heavy Gothic) dial, here is a potential new home for it currently being offered for sale on eBay by our own Jim "idealtime" Walz:

Click here to view 992B flip-top cigarette box auction

I find this cigarette box interesting for two reasons. First, it has a label with watch info on it and is marked just 992 rather than 992B, so we know it went with an early production 992B. Second, it is a non-standard color, light blue.

I have a flip-top box in my collection with a label like this, except it is the standard ivory color and also has the outer box, so I know that it goes with C20441.

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
but be prepared..... Big Grin $$$

ed,

this is how all the flip boxes were marked, without a movement serial number...

and these labels were like this for a while.... then they changed to 992B...

PS,

can you send your label info?

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
Terry,

I already have an early 992B with the "right" case and dial for this box. The one you pointed to looks to be a nice example and has the correct dial and case, but don't you think its a bit high (C42922) in serial number for the box to be marked "992"?

I emailed you my label info for my inner & outer box set for C20441.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
not really.... pic below should help..

and thanks for the numbers... i a behind in posting, so not sure if duplicate, one never knows...

also........ check the image of the box labels here...
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/473108709/m/415106149/r/6361068421#6361068421

you will find C130xxx with the 992 Elinvar Railway Special label...

I think jim said one time it changed a little over C200000........ jim?

posted
every box i have seen with a model 11 has been marked 992.

had and sold one 4 years ago with a blue box & matching outer boxes. it was a 3 digit serial number is all i can remember.

dial was single sunk HG and signed only "Hamilton"

i do believe the watch was all original.

Posts: 1342 | Location: Northwestern Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: January 10, 2005
posted
here is a late one....

posted
Jim -

Probably will pass a contemporary 992B by a pretty good margin, and if two bidders decide to fight it out it could go pretty far past.

But one can find a number of 992B's listed to eBay every single day, and we will probably see hundreds more 992B's offered for every one of these colored boxes that are listed.

Fred

posted
so much for every one with a model 11 marked 992

Posts: 1342 | Location: Northwestern Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: January 10, 2005
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
Terry,

That's interesting about the labels on the blue cardboard boxes being marked "992" that long.

What I really meant to get at, but didn't express well, was the longevity of the labels on the plastic cigarette boxes, such as on the auction box and the set I have. How late in the serial numbers did that run?

Best Regards,

Ed

posted
ed,

because of the "half life" of the adhesive... and the amount of time that has passed for alteration, we may never know..

My example from 1956 did not have a label on the flip box...... i am the second owner... I don't think it ever had one... the rest of the stuff (warranty paper, sealing tape) was there....

There may be correlation of the flip box label with the change in the box label design... but just don't know... and wanna learn......

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
EPILOGUE: This light blue flip top box closed at $803.11 -- WOW! Congratulations Jim!

Best Regards,

Ed

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Terry,

To move the mark back a bit, my NOS boxed set with movement C419726 and case 16 numbered R508733 has no label on the underside of the flip top box. That area is clean and unmarked in any way. I believe it never had a label except for that on the outer box.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Lindell,

Can you please share what dial is listed on your outer box label?

Thank you,

Tref

Posts: 348 | Location: Northwest Washington USA | Registered: June 23, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Tref,

Sorry for not including all the information previously.

That unused example is marked as "Dial 379" and indeed it has the "BM Numerical" or Wide-Chapter Montgomery melamine dial.

Warranty paper is packed with the inner-box.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
No need to apologize Lindell. Thanks for filling in yet another piece of our great big puzzle!

Tref

Posts: 348 | Location: Northwest Washington USA | Registered: June 23, 2005