Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Question about a CPR watch "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bernhard Schmidt
posted
Hi!
Question about a CPR watch.
The serialnumber at this watch is 6006275.
When I search at the Wlatham serial number database it says that it shold be a mod 83 15 Jewel A.T,& Co., NL, not an cpr. Why is that?
Confused
Best regards!

Posts: 423 | Location: Västerås in Swedem | Registered: January 02, 2004
posted
...and it´s a strange looking dial aswell?

Bernhard Schmidt

posted
Bernhard,

All of the information that you have stated is correct for the serial number 6006275. I would like to see if that serial number matches the serial number for the CPR BEAVER SHIELD plate. Another confusing statement by the seller says " Nice 1892 Waltham Canadian Pacific Railway 18 size pocket watch with 24 hour dial". Does he imply that it is a Model 1892 or is that the year for this watch? Neither of these statements appear to be correct to me.

I think the dial is the coolest part of this watch. Eek Roll Eyes

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Bernard:

I have a watch just like this in my collection the serial number is 5742981, and it has the same dial which is similar to one called the "Railroader" except these have the 24-hour track. The Waltham 1883 watch in my collection is pendent set and came complete with a Watch inspection card from CPR watch inspector D.R. Dingwall, Winnipeg Manitoba from 1903. And it belonged to a Conductor from worked out of Winnipeg at that time.

Larry Buchan

CPR Dial

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Here is a picture of the movement.

Larry Buchan

Waltham 5742981

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

There you have it!

The auction example is apparently authentic.

Thanks Larry!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Here is a picture of the watch card that belonged to the conductor A. J. Cameron and the back cover of a Hamilton booklet advertising D.R. Dingwall.

Larry Buchan

CPR watch card

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
A couple of notes on the auction watch. If you look in Shugart's book the serial number falls around 1892 so the date is not too far off according to that reference, but that is a sometimes poor approximation. However, the handwritten records tell us it was among a group of watches actually finished between 1894 and 1897.

The CPR barrel bridges did not have serial numbers on them and were put on various movements, some listed and some not. Often the damasceening does not match. The auction example is closer than many. Because the bridges are unnumbered there has been some switching done in recent years. All you can do to assure yourself is to see if others from the the same run have been reported with this marking. Maybe Ed can tell us if he and Kent have recorded any other examples with close numbers.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
Close serial numbers in my notes ...

6006270 "Santa Fe Route"
6006505 "Santa Fe Route" (seen at this year's Orlando regional)

Fred

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Our database shows that S/Ns 6008131 and 6008217 are CPR movements. S/N 6008385 is listed as a "CRTS" (Canadian Railway Time Service, I think). My understanding is that Waltham engraved a bunch of barrel bridges in advance, and then just placed them on current production when orders came into the factory. This is why the damaskeening doesn't match the rest of the watch.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
posted
Thank´s, everybody for your information!

Bernhard Schmidt

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...Larry, fantastic 'ensemble' you have there in the CPR 'piece... Razz

Jim
IHC#234

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003