Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois 19 jewel size 12, history? my first post "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Illinois 19 jewel size 12, history...

I am planning on giving this watch to my oldest brother for his 64th birthday this weekend. This was our father's watch that I came across while cleaning my basement up. I took it to our local jeweler who changed the crystal and got the watch working again. Can anyone provide me with additional information and the value of the watch? Here are some photos - Thanks - The initials on the front are CEM - Charles Edward Meldrum - my Grandfathers, Fathers, and Brothers Initials. My father was born in 1918 and from my research this watch was made in 1924-25 so I suspect he inherited it from my grandfather. I will try to post more photos

Posts: 7 | Location: Northern Ohio in the USA | Registered: May 08, 2012
posted
inside cover

cover

posted
Welcome Mark

Others here will know more about the Watch.
I just wanted to say that I think its great to
restore the watch and keep it in the family.

Posts: 352 | Location: Southeast Michigan in the USA | Registered: March 22, 2012
posted
Thanks Jack - I am posting more photos - is there a way to post more than one photo per post?

posted
outside cover

cover

posted
one more photo

other inside cover

posted
Mark, Nice watch. The serial number from the movement will help give much more information about the watch. It is not quite readable in the pictures.

By the way ,in the 1950s I worked for GM at the Elyria plant with Charlie Meldrum as a foreman, any relation?

Posts: 198 | Location: Vermilion, Ohio in the USA | Registered: May 14, 2003
posted
The watch itself has a serial # on the movement of 4677273.
Keith, yes - that was my Dad. He was transfered to Detroit and was the Plant Manager at the Fort Street Plant in 1969 and retired in 1972 after his second heart attack. We moved back to Ohio and Dad passed away in 1984.

Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
go to the link for all the info on your watch
Great history on your watch keep it in family.

http://pocketwatchdatabase.com...ult/illinois/4677273

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
I keep forgetting that Keith is from "Sailor Town", the GM plant that I remember in Elyria was the Fisher Body plant on Rt113 just before the overpass for the RR tracks.

I have my father's Elgin, the oldest son has his grandfather's 21j Burlington, I think many people in those days passed a good watch down, it is a nice looking watch and hopefully your brother enjoys it.

BTW Keith, if you went over the RR overpass at the Fisher body plant there was a bar-resturaunt just over the bridge on the left, figured I would tax your memory a bit!!!

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Mark,

Small World Smile with Keith knowing your father!

Often people have tried to tell me the prominent initial in the center is the middle initial and I have always tried to explain that is in fact for the last name, thanks for confirmation.

Your case with "585 Fine" is proof of it being Solid 14K Gold which is very important to recognize.

Movement number 4677273 is a 12-size, Pendant-Set, Open-Face, 19-Jewel, Model "3XT" which means "model 3, Extra-Thin" when deciphered, A. Lincoln Grade 527, Adjusted to 5 positions, Heat, Cold and Isochronism. It is a high quality, well finished movement featuring a Jeweled Motor Barrel and dating to be from late 1925 production. These were produced from 1925 through 1928 making the original sale most likely during the mid to late 1920s but that that detail was not specifically recorded in the factory records. You might want to try and find out if documentation or recollection of the watch exists within your relatives, this is a really great family heirloom!

Our location east of you in Mayfield, Ohio if you would like to visit.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Mark, Nobody offered an value estimate because the main value of this watch,other than family history,is based om the constantly changing spot price of gold. Todays rough value of an open faced,14K, 12size case is $650 to $750, plus the value of the movement.

After all these years I can still conjure up a mind's image of your Dad. A real fine gentleman,tall and fit..........Keith

Posts: 198 | Location: Vermilion, Ohio in the USA | Registered: May 14, 2003
IHC Member 1508
posted
Welcome Mark! Very nice watch, and amazing history! However, you might want to have whoever worked on this to put the regulator whip back behind the regulator arm where it is supposed to be. Best regards, Brad

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010
posted
Thanks for the replies. I enjoy chatting on forums but most of my expertise involves automotive restoration. I am extremely involved with Chevrolet Chevelle restorations and a Mechanical Engineer by trade so these tiny little watch pieces blow my mind.
@Keith – My Dad really enjoyed meeting people and working at GM. I still have a lot of photos of him at GM. My brother Jay followed in his footsteps for a little while at GM, working for Cadillac in the 70’s. His son Jay Jr. works at the GM proving grounds.
@Mr. President Lindell – Thank you for all the information – this is exactly what I was looking for. This is all the information I will be able to get. My Dad was one of six children and my Aunt Ina was the last to pass away this past year. Most of the family was from Syracuse NY, I keep in touch with my cousins and will bring it up with them. I am on the West Side of Cleveland in Grafton.
@Brad – Thanks for the info on the repair. I wish I knew what part you were talking about. I had this watch restored about 2 months ago in preparation for my brothers birthday this Saturday. When I first got it back, I had trouble keeping it running and took it back to the jeweler. I found out that the watch repairman passed away a few days after restoring this watch. I just shipped the watch to my brother in Florida, I will pass the information onto him.
Thanks again, I have one more pocket watch for you guys to look at; I will post some photos soon.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Mark, below I pictured your movement on the left with the abused whip regluator and on the right an unabused regulator on my 3XT Marquis with a graphic. The A. Lincoln can be easily fixed by an accomplished jeweler if your brother shows him this picture.

Leaving that very valuable and high quality A.Lincoln watch movement in that condition does not speak well for the "expertise" of the person who recently serviced it. The professional treatment of this grade of watch is best available from our own Chris Abell at;
http://www.abellwatchmakers.com/

I worked with many GM and FMC Plant Managers, very smart, trusted and powerful guys.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of Tom Weinstock
posted
here's more info...

Posts: 496 | Location: Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: March 10, 2012