Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham Premier Maximus "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 525
posted
I believe the Premier Maximus was made in two runs of 200 & 1000 watches in 1908. The first price was $250 , increased to $400 in 1912, $620 in 1925 & onto $750. I guess the movement numbers were allocated in 1908 & watches actually made in subsequent years/decades. Is this the case ? And would the quality be consistant over all those years ?

Posts: 106 | Location: North Yorkshire, United Kingdom | Registered: May 05, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hello Derek,

The Waltham Premier Maximus is a watch I really admire.

A site-wide "Find-Or-Search" of "Premier Maximus" brings up many matches. They could make for some interesting and worthwhile reading. You'll find varied opinions, pictures of several examples and even an advertisement.

It may be that only 501 of these great watches were produced from what Ed Ueberall explained previously in "Prestige Watches" - Premier Maximus one of our topics. Perhaps those with additional knowledge will address your very interesting questions which are at least partially answered in the topics linked to this search...

"Find or Search" for the words "Premier Maximus"

Now, this gives me an opportunity to share my Premier Maximus with all of you Big Grin right here.

Premier Maximus 17057273 in 18K Dennison Case...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Henry Fried told me that the last time he was at Waltham they had two uncased movements in the vault.This was in the early 50's.I have no idea what the SN's were.
Mine is #17057005 and it is recased.
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Wow, nice watch Lindell. Do we get to see under the hood? Smile
Best regards,
gp

Grant Perry

Posts: 334 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: January 28, 2003
Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
Here is the page and some pictures of my Premier Maximus. The correct case is an important part of the watch but is not usually found on the English examples because they were sent over as loose movements. The first run is in marked cases like my example. The later run is often found in unmarked cases. I think the watches got a bit mixed up in later years because many appear with unmatched serial numbers on the case and movement. They were presumably cleaned, adjusted and cased to order from material in stock.

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Thanks Grant, except for the number Tom's movement and mine are identical.

Tom, those are great images of a beautiful example! Thanks for sharing them with us.

Noting the obvious differences in case, dial and hands between your US and my English versions, I wonder if there is any way to determine how many or how few movements went the English route.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Sam Williamson
posted
Out of curiosity, what other watches had diamond end stones on the balance wheel AND the escape wheel?

Sam Williamson

Posts: 618 | Location: Northwestern Florida in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Many of the other American Watch Co. grade movements did, as well as many of the Riverside Maximus. This 12-size also has a diamond on the pallet fork cap.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
IHC Member 525
posted
I know of an early Premier Maximus # 17000114, that is fitted in a 14ct. double hinge case.But the body of the case which holds the watch , I believe , is brass. Is this arrangement a "one off", or are there similar cases out there ?

Posts: 106 | Location: North Yorkshire, United Kingdom | Registered: May 05, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Derek,

From what I understand and from what Tom posted above the early serial numbers such as you mention should perhaps be in matching-numbers triple-hinge (meaning bezel, back and cuvette) cases. Assuming that, specifics and the cuvette markings including serial number should conform to Tom's example.

Your reference to the frame which is holding the movement being "brass" causes me to suspect it might not be in a proper case. If this is something you are thinking of buying check it very carefully and be sure of every detail. Unfortunately, there are far more movements than proper cases these days.

Lindell

Wink

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Lindell, Tom, Your pictures and information are fantastic. I have seen these before, and now I know a lot more about them. Thanks!

Tom, Every time I go to your pages I am shocked at how wonderful they are. Beautiful work!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
A couple of additional points concerning the Premier Maximus.
Although we have several examples in our database being housed in Dennison cases (and thus made for the English market) Lindell's is the only Prem. Max. we have recorded with a Roman Numeral dial.
We have data on 28 movements, 11 of 201 in the first run 17,000,000 to 17,000,200 (5.47%) and 17 of 300 in the second run 17,057,001 to 17,057,300 (5.67%) Three examples in each run are listed as being in factory marked cases, engraved with the movement serial number. Of these, one is 14 Kt, five are 18 Kt. The low percentage that have the mvt. serial number on the movement (21.4%), leads me to wonder if the factory marked cases were an option rather than supplied with every movement. Certainly the ones going to England went without cases. Most of the other cases are also solid gold, mostly 14 Kt.
Only four movements (two from each run) have the silver dial, rather than the more common enamel dial.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
I am pretty sure the silver dial was ordered less often and it cost as much or perhaps more than the enamel dial. I don't have an original price list to check.

At least one example was sold in a matching silver box with both dials.

I have also not seen the Kew Certificate that was available as an option on these watches.

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I have begun to wonder when the Premier Maximus was first introduced. I, and probably others, have cited Gene Fuller's "The Priceless Possession of a Few" (Bulletin Supplement 10) which states that this special model was introduced in 1908. However, in re-reading Moore's "Timing A Century" he gives an introduction date of 1911, citing the minutes of the May 22, 1911 stockholders' meeting. Does anyone have any other data to determine when the Premier Maximus was introduced?
Lindell - what is the hallmark date in your English-cased example?

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
I will dig out my National Geographic CD collection and see what the early PM ads say.

On another thought, I have seen one example of the PM with a Montgomery (or at least marginal minutes) dial. I was wondering if it got recorded by Ed and Kent. I was not recording serial numbers at the time.

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Thanks, Tom. I look forward to hearing what you find in the National Geographics.

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Tom, you are correct. Premier Maximus S/N 17,057,225 was listed by the seller in 1993 as having a double sunk "Premier Maximus" marked Montgomery dial.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Everyone,

Thanks to Jerry's inquiry about the case hallmarks on my Premier Maximus I did a bit of research.

These things are a puzzle to me but the "A.L.D" refers to Aaron Lufkin Dennison, the case-maker and that anchor symbol indicated Birmingham, England Assay Office from what I could determine. I sent an eMail to Birmingham explaining what the movement is and asked for information further defining the markings.

A polite and helpful response from Birmingham provided the following...

"The marks indicate the Dennison Watch Case Company, founded by Aaron Lufkin Dennison in 1874 and continuing in business until 1967. The anchor indicates that the watch case was indeed assayed and marked in Birmingham, the date letter ‘O’ indicates 1913 and the crown and the figure 18 show that when assayed the case was found to be of 18ct standard gold. The numerals beneath these marks are the serial number of the case."

Perhaps this will help dating these watches a bit more precisely.

Premier Maximus 17057273 Birmingham Hallmarks...

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Thanks, Lindell. I have had some information coming in from various quarters and will share more as I find it.

Tom - any luck yet finding the old National Geographic ads? I have had a report of the PM being listed in a 1909 Waltham catalog (haven't seen it yet, though), so you may find an ad for it that far back as well.

posted
After 10 years I think this post needs some new life. Here is one I recently got at auction (not EB) and, from the discussion here, I think it must be one of the rarer Premier Maximus. 18K gold Wadsworth case and silver dial... Would love to know the thoughts of you PM experts on this one.. It should be here in the next few days... Any thoughts on cleaning up the dial? I suspect that the dial is printed and therefore fragile to any kind of cleaning agent... Thanks.. Walt

Posts: 18 | Location: Huntsvillle, Alabama in the USA | Registered: February 25, 2014
posted
Photo #2

[Movement number: 17000087]

Posts: 18 | Location: Huntsvillle, Alabama in the USA | Registered: February 25, 2014
posted
Photo #3 18K white gold

posted
photo #4 The original box.... When it arrives I'll discover if any papers are inside

IHC Member 2030
posted
Thanks for the pics.

Mike

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
posted
I don't have it yet... These are the auction posted pics.

IHC Member 2030
posted
Exciting experience to view such a nice piece .

Mike

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
posted
The dial is a solid silver dial with applied gold numerals showing original toning, I would not touch it, it is great as it is. The case looks original to the movement, but the dustcovers are usually signed Premier Maximus with some having the same movement number on the dustcover. I have owned 4 of these and all had the Premier marking on the dustcover, with 2 matching serial numbers to the movement but 2 that had different numbers than the movement. Geno

Posts: 357 | Location: Foster City, California USA | Registered: August 06, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Nice watch, Walter. You outbid me for it by $100.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
posted
No Gene... I outbid you by $1.00... When I did that at the last moment it surprised me by adding a "1/2 increment" which was $100.00... I have other PMs and this one was a keeper for me. Good for you for going for it. I think it's a sleeper... Walt

posted
Sorry.. I meant Ethan on the outbid. Gene, I'll post here when it arrives about the case markings. From Ed U's previous post the silver dials seem to be a real rarity. Looking at the movement photos the case seems to be original from the screw marks.hope to see all in Chattanooga next month. I'll have it at my table if you would like to have a hands on examination.

posted
My wife and I will be in Chattanooga in June. My wife collects paper dolls and doll houses and I collect Railroad Grade pocket watches. The national convention of paper doll collectors just so happens to be in Chattanooga at the same time and place. It was meant to be.

Michael C. Bussacco

Posts: 46 | Location: Scranton, Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: January 28, 2015
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
You're living a charmed life, Michael.
Wink

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013
IHC Member 525
posted
Dial cleaning -- I think you have to leave it as it is. On a lesser watch a very light wash with mild soapy water might clean the tarnish/dirt but on a PM I wouldn`t chance it. ( Don`t like to think of the price of a replacement dial )
When the watch left the factory they were supplied with a spare crystal & main-springs so they would be a bonus to find in the box - fingers crossed.