• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

South Bend loose cannon pinion "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
i have a South Bend 219 with a cannon pinion so loose that the hands will not move though the movement is running very well. I assume that the cannon pinion is worn rather than the center wheel arbor. Is there a special tool to tighten the cannon pinion? Thanks in advance......Keith

Posts: 198 | Location: Vermilion, Ohio in the USA | Registered: May 14, 2003
IHC Life Member
posted
Most staking sets have the V shaped part to hold the canon pinion and the chisel shaped punch. You need to find a round shaft very close to the diameter of the hole in the canon pinion. You put the shaft in the canon pinion before striking it with the punch. It is very hard and will break easily if not done properly. There is also a special tool for tightening the canon pinion.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
posted
Can anyone tell me what this "special tool" to adjust a cannon pinion looks like and how it is used?.........Thanks....Keith

IHC Life Member
posted
Keith...See Davids explanation for the proper use of this tool below. I have deleted my eroneous explanation. Thank you David!

Roger

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Here is a photo of mine, hope it helps.

Tom

tool01

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Roger
I guess we were both posting photos at the same time, sorry to butt in.

Tom

tool02

IHC Life Member
posted
No problem Tom...Just shows there are so many different tools to accomplish the same job! Smile

posted
Thanks guys, that is something I haven't seen before...........Keith

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I "gotta clear the air" on this subject. Roger's tool (his particular one looks like it handles wristwatch cannons too) is what I call the "neat one" because it has altogether the cannon pinion support shaft and a "V" anvil to support and stabilize the cannon pinion. With a "neat" thumbscrew type "non-shocking" embossing tool to GENTLY tighten cannon pinions. (Such as the 1883 18s Waltham cannon pinion That serves as the "model" in these pics). However this is more limited to solid body pinions. The less robust pinions such as all the Hamiltons . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
. . . need the "real thing" setup which is provided by most staking sets. This allows more careful manipulation of the pinion while gently tapping it to make the center a little tighter on the main wheel shaft . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Then there is the "hammer and hope" design. I do not recommend this unless you are desperately interested in finding another cannon pinion after you break the loose one.

IHC Life Member
posted
David...Thank you for posting the pics showing my tool in use. The person I got it from showed me the wrong way to use it! It now makes total sense that this is the proper way to use this tool. I will go back and remove my eroneous instructions on how to use the tool. I love this forum!

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Just in my defense, I use my staking set & not the other tool. Just thought I would show that they are there too.

Roger
Thanks for posting yours, I have one of those but never knew what it was for!

Tom

IHC Life Member
posted
Tom...I have only used the staking set too. Now that David has posted the correct way to use the other tool I will try it. It looks safer and more controlled.

Roger

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Tom, I have to qualify my judgement is not your tools, but from my own abilities, failures and successes with the plethora of tools I have accumulated. Were I about 25 years "younger" AND could still REALLY SEE Eek I might have some totally different thoughts about these handy little devices.