Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Grace! A prospective 8 year old watchmaker! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Grace, my new accountant's daughter showed a real interest in my fussing over watches one day so I asked her while she was looking around my shoulder at my work if she wanted to do her own!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
So I dug through the "rubble" and found a nice dirty 1909 vintage Waltham 7 jewel in a gold filled case and with really messed up hands hiding what looked like a perfect dial. Grace was delighted when I told her that if she could make it work (with a little help from me), she could keep it!

We started taking it apart and I carefully explained some history of time pieces beginning with the sundial, and the questions began to flow, Grace was really warming to the subject!

Meanwhile in disassembly, I noted an interesting thing. This 7 Jewel 16s Waltham made in 1909 had mean time screws on the balance wheel and all the serial numbers matched. A good sign indeed!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The process of cleaning the watch and detailing the parts gave plenty of time to explain to Grace how these "modern" watches worked, all regulated by the escapement mechanism so wonderfully adapted to mass production with "American Know-How"

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
As you can see, Grace quickly found how simple it was to correctly apply a Jewelers screwdriver and re-assemble and time (within 6 sec/day in dial-down position) watch after everything was cleaned and tested for friction-free operation. (That smile will start a thousand watchs if they could only see it!)

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Grace was especially helpful in the final re-casing of the watch, and I only had to help a little with the hands . . . but Grace put in the "Last Screw" to finish the job!

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
During the early 60's while living with the Ojibway Indians in Northern Minnesota for a year or two, I learned one main rule of "adulthood", WE have only 1 role in life, to be the CARETAKERS OF OUR CHILDREN'S FUTURE!

I for one hope this little "lesson" helps Grace's future and life experience as much as it did mine. What a pleasant "Trip"! It really "made our day"!

Oh, and the watch runs very very well in all positions, it still had perfect poise. I think it loves it's new keeper! Cool

Picture of Ted Steuernagel
posted
David you are a great teacher of all! What a great story keep up the great work. Regards Ted

Posts: 335 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
posted
Wonderful story David and nice of you to share it with all of us.
Thanks

IHC Member 1193

Posts: 216 | Location: Key Biscayne, Florida in the USA | Registered: October 21, 2008
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
David,
You are the best! I am sure Grace will never forget her first pocket watch lesson.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
THESE are the kind of threads I like to read! Smile

THANK YOU DAVE!!!

HIGH regard! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Great story. Children are indeed our future. Thank you Dave for sharing.

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008
posted
Dave,
You are very kind to share your special gift with her. No doubt a day she will remember forever. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Ray

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Nice story and pictures Dave.
I know Grace will never forget this experience.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
David,

Great story and wonderful pictures. I showed my four year old Anthony and my six year old Nicholas the pictures and he was fascinated. Nicholas' only comment was "Whoa". Anthony speculated that they (you and Grace) cleaned the watch with "some kind of oil".

As a student of horology who is currently working on getting the train to run freely on a 7J Elgin, I admire what you guys did.

Also, I think we should all teach kids this hobby if they show some interest.

Well done David.

John III

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Wonderful story, beautiful subject, fantastic images!

The future of our hobby is in good hands!

Grace is truly amazing! Smile

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Great story Dave, may insprire to start teaching someone myself oneday.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
David,

That was very entertaining and you archived it beautifully. Children never forget acts of cheerful kindness.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
posted
Great story Dave, Well done!

If more of the 'old school' watchmakers were as willing to pass on skills like this, then maybe both our nations would still be enjoying a thriving horological industry instead of it going to the Japanese and Swiss!

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
Picture of Peter Shea
posted
Dave,

The story and it's documentation is awesome. Motivation and inspiration have been achieved through your excellent teaching techniques.

I also appreciated your other thread on accuracy and balance wheel poise.

Thanks,

Pete

Posts: 20 | Location: Dillsburg, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: August 20, 2007
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Mr. Abbe, what wonderful documentation you have provided and a beautiful story as well.

Dave, we are all very lucky to have gentlemen such as yourself in our midst here at IHC185.

Grace will remember, forever, this experience each time she looks at her "1st watch".

God Bless you for taking the time to teach....and to share this with us.

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008