• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Grandfathers Elgin pocket watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I just got my Grandfather's Elgin 17 jewel watch back from Chris Abell. It looks absolutely brand new. Chris is truly an artist and his prices are very reasonable for the quality of work. I will be sending him more work shortly. Again, thanks Chris for a super job!

bchur

Posts: 38 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: November 06, 2011
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Have any pics of it that you want to share?

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Thanks Bill,
Dan I have lots of pictures and some very interesting watches I have worked on my website,

serviced watches

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
Chris-

I see you have a video showing a 950B running under the test half cycle. should most watches be able to do this if everything is adjusted correctly and cleaned properly? I know I read somewhere that South Bend tested their watches this way before fully completing them. I think they referred to it as testing it in half-time. This is why I ask the question.

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Jared,

I will properly be proved wrong but I expect if the pocket watch is in good order it would. I like to do this after a staff change as a good test before putting the hairsprign back on, have not tried it on smaller size PW and would be interested to how well it works on those also.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
Chris-

Thanks for the response. I don't try this method too often. I do check that the balance has good, free-flowing action thru the pallet in both directions, but I have never tried to run one without the hairspring. I always figured South bend considered the "half time" testing as it running without the hairspring, but didn't have a good way to confirm it.

I'll have to try this on a few watches that I work on as I am always looking for ways to better adjust and check watches so that they are properly running when finished.

Jared

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
I like to keep testing as I go, once I have the staff in and balance true, I will put the balance in without the pallet, using a light brush spin the balance and take a rough note of how long it will free spin face down, then repeat face up and on the side if there is a noticeable difference in run duration I have something else to resolve before moving ahead, a gentle flick can make it free run for 45 seconds and more in some. If ok fit the roller and poise, then recheck the half cycle make it easier to see if problems are developing so by the time you fit the hairspring you know your train and balance are all free and good order.

posted
Chris-

I typically do the freespin test as you state for the same reason. It does find issues in the watch as it pertains to its chances of running well in all positions without being sluggish in one position. I just never took that to the next level of half timing it.

Jared

posted
grandpa's

bchur

posted
no. 2 of grandpa's watch

bchur