Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Have You Ever Seen a "Fahy's~Lamont" Case ???? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
I have had this case in my arsenal for many years. I have had it so long that I can't remember where it came from. It has been "lost" in my stash until now when I opened some old/new stuff recently. Some of it I am beginning to offer & sell on IHC Smile

This case is new & unused and has never held a movement nor does it have a service mark in it. I contacted my good friend Tom Brown, who many of you know, is the best researcher and historian that this site will ever know or have.

While this case is an 18sz. Fahy's # 1 in Coin Silver and is marked "3" ounces, it is quite unique.
It has three hinges and is a "double fold out" case Eek

Tom did the "leg" work & hard work of research and found that a one, James Lamont, in April of 1884 applied for and was granted a "new patent" for this type of case.
In incorporates a more protective case to a movement from the effects of dust and moisture.
This is the only one that I have seen or heard tale of, in all my watch collecting tenure. I find it remarkable to see and be able to appreciate such a case and most especially in it's unused & pristine condition.

I thought I would share it with you here live to perhaps appreciate as I do. Many thanks to Tom for his research, but mostly for being my best bud Wink

Here are some pictures and your comments are greatly welcomed & appreciated, Thanks Smile

regards,
bb

Picture 1;

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Picture 2;

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Picture 3;

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Picture 4;

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Picture 5;

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Picture 6;

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Picture 7 & Last One, Thank You;

IHC Member 1357
posted
What a beauty!!!

Posts: 4092 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Buster very nice Smile

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
Great case! Wouldn't it look good with a two tone 21j Movement in it?

Fantastic!

Steve

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Like Steven I can think of some nice candidates Smile for this one.

This very unusual case is apparently another of those early attempts at a dust-proof case.

Thanks to Buster for sharing this beautiful example!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Buster,

That is just one beautiful case! I have always thought that sterling and coin silver cases are the most attractive housings for fine American 18s watches...even nicer than gold for certain grades. I would think that a full plate 21 jewel Father Time with double sunk roman dial would be very appropriate. A nickel full plate 1880's high grade Waltham Appleton Tracy with blued screws and gold jewel settings would look amazing as well...double sunk roman dial with fleur-de-lis hands of course! I'll also add that your great photography really shows the true color of silver.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Buster,
What a beautiful case. Thanks for sharing the pics with us.
Tony

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Stunning example Buster.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Buster, Buster....what a superb example of fine craftmanship that came to us from another time, some might say "another world"....There is nothing like that being 'made' in today's world and I hope you keep this one in your hoard forever....If not, let me know and I'll gladly take it off your hands as I'm sure there are others that will gladly do the same....

Thanks for sharing this one with us it is certainly a pleasure to behold....

High Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Hey Thanks for all the kind comments guys !! I thought perhaps some would appreciate the uniqueness of the case & it's condition.

I do have a movement that is special to me that I may put in this case. It was recently serviced by one of our member watchmakers. I never quite could figure out where it belongs, but perhaps it would be a hit in this case. By Illinois it is a Two~Tone 21 Jeweled "Emporer".

Here are a couple pictures of the mvmt/dial while I am thinking about this.

regards,
bb

Picture 1;

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Picture 2;

IHC Life Member
posted
Hey Buster,

I do believe that is just the kind of movement I had in mind. I think it would look great!

Steve

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Buster,

You're not going to go wrong with that one.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008