Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

My 23J Bunn Special Shop Clock "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
I was messing around on the computer the other day and decided that I should make a fun clock for my crystal shop. You'll notice that it has a genuine double sunk dial made from 3 layers of photo paper on foam core....just the way they used to make 'em! The dial is 7 3/4" in diameter. 2 craft store quartz movements are also featured in its construction. Zero jewels. Pretty nice, huh? Razz

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
posted
Very cool, a great idea for anybody with a favorite dial. Geno

Posts: 357 | Location: Foster City, California USA | Registered: August 06, 2007
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
That is awesome Bill....now can you make a crystal for it?

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Two Questions;

1. Where did you get the hands.?
2. When will you start selling these?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Bill,

Can I get one just like it but with the 23J Monty dial?

Steve

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Absolutely the height of cool Cool you gotta bring those to market!

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1110
posted
Bill, That as Lindell said Is the height of cool, would really be nice with a first model Bunn Sp'l. YGF case around it!

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Hello everyone,

My original idea, and one that I'm still entertaining, was to do silk screen on 1/16" milk white plexiglass. Then the two top pieces could be cut and finished with an inner bevel, then all 3 pieces would be cemented together to give a very authentic appearance. The ideal dimensions would be a diameter of 12". The paper and foam core clock is also very good; I use pigment inks on glossy photo paper then coat each print several times with a water resistant gloss optimizer which makes it totally fade proof and to a lesser degree, cleanable. Since there seems to be some interest here, I'll proceed with my original design which is to make a clock that is very authentic, beautiful and durable. I'm not about to sell something made of paper and foam core....that's just a prototype for my own entertainment.

To David,

I got these hands with a do it yourself quartz clock kit that I bought at a craft store. You can probably get them through Timesavers.

To Mr. Middelesworth,

No, I cannot make a crystal for it. Yes, I can reproduce your favorite dial. Please stand by.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Bill,

There is also another outfit called Klockit. They sell all sorts of clock movements and parts.

Steve

Klockit

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Bill,

A place called the Pottery Barn sells pocket watch clocks which you could maybe use your dial and add another movement for the second hand. Hands look a little like Bunn Special hands as well. The large one is 8" in diameter.

Steve

The Pottery Barn

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Capital ides! I agree with Lin, you have to market this!

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
This wholesaler includes "free hands" with his very affordable quartz movements which are also small enough to do 1 each for the seconds and minute/hours.

http://www.bearwood.com/CLOCKMOVEMENT-MINI.HTML

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007