• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Would it be unusual to find... "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Would it be unusual to find... an early 992B in a model 3 case?

Posts: 185 | Location: Sedro Wooley, Washington USA | Registered: January 02, 2003
posted
Hi Eric,
The model 3 case was first seen in 1926. The earliest 992B that was produced was in 1940-41.so it won't work out date wise.
To add a little confusion to a clear answer (I can't resist) some collectors call a Model 2 two-tone case a Model 3 . If you use that explanation then a two-tone Model 3 case would be fine for a 992B, but I think you were asking about the old Model 3 case with the heavy pendant and checkered bezels.
In the 2005 edition of the Price Guide most of the Hamilton Case have the first date seen at the bottom of the description.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Eric,

Just to add a bit to Jim's comments...

If we all define "Early 992B" in the same way, it would not only be unusual, it would be incorrect. Also, as Jim mentioned there are two cases called "Model 3" by collectors so that should be clarified as well.

The original "Case Model 3" came out in 1926 and it is called "The Checkerboard Case" by many collectors. That's because of the unique checkerboard-like design around the bezel and back.

For 1946-47 Hamilton introduced the "Number 3" as they referred to it in factory literature. That case which was available for only a short time, employs a yellow gold-filled frame such as is found on the Case Model 2 along with unusual stainless steel back (marked base-metal) and bezel.

With the latter, placing an earlier 992B in it would do no real harm, with the former you'd be up against a second set of case screw marks.

So... which case do you have?

Lindell

1946-47 Hamilton Catalog with "No. 3" case shown...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Bernhard Schmidt
posted
Can you suggest any good book/s that describe cases. I´m really hungry for knowledge but there semms to be hard to find anything written.
Thanks!
/Bernhard

Posts: 423 | Location: Västerås in Swedem | Registered: January 02, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Bernhard,

We are beginning the process to release most Hamilton Railroad Watch pages from their factory catalogs in the near future. Meantime and always feel free to ask questions here and check pages 234 and 235 of the "Complete Guide to Watches" 2005 Edition for most of the Hamilton factory cases.

You'll find Elgin, Illinois and Waltham cases illustrated in their respective sections.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Robert M. Sweet
posted
Hello Bernhard,

I agree very much with Lindell with regard to asking questions.

When I joined this chapter about two months ago I knew practically nothing about cases. With my interest being in Hamilton and Illinois cases, I started asking questions and in this short period I have accumulated well over 50 pages of information on cases alone.

The "Hamilton Catalog" pages that Lindell is in the process of posting will also be very helpful, and I for one will be very appreciative for his time and effort.

You will find several very knowledgeable watch experts on this forum that are very helpful and can answer almost any question.

I know this doesn't answer your question about the book on watch cases, but thought I might share with you my experience on asking questions on this forum.

Thanks,
Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
posted
I went to a gun show this weekend,(a great place to find watches) and saw a 992b in a #3 case (checkerboard) the gentleman would not let me hold it but did open the back and show me it had a 4number serial# but i was unable to remember it (sorry) he wanted an awful lot for it as i recall.
It struck me as unusual because all i have seen to this point in the #3 case is 992's and 992E's.

Posts: 185 | Location: Sedro Wooley, Washington USA | Registered: January 02, 2003
posted
From my experience, you were looking at a recased watch.....

as stated above, the model 3 checkerboard is much earlier (and discontinued before) the introduction of the 992B movement.....

you will mostly find 992 movements .... it is possible for the 992e to be cased in this case, but it HAS to be an early one.... this was just not a long-lived case.