WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ok Hamilton Experts ~ Here's one I haven't seen before "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello Group,
Here is a Hamilton 925 I picked up. If you'll notice the movement is marked "TESTED". I have not seen this on a Hamilton before. I thought it was quite interesting. Has anyone seen this before? Any thoughts???? Thanks, Jim

Posts: 273 | Location: New York in the USA | Registered: May 28, 2008
posted
back cover

posted
dial

posted
movement1

posted
movement2

posted
movement3

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Yes Jim, it is interesting. I've never seen anything like it before.

The uneveness of the letters suggests that "TESTED" was stamped into the barrel bridge rather than engraved.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
I'm going to take a very wild guess and say that it was used like a "control" movement during production?

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
For a watchmaker to mark "tested" is sort of an oxymoron, so I think that Ed's observation about the uneveness of the stamp indicates that it was be added later. As it is light in the middle, and as these steel die stamps are Glass hard steel, I speculate that the stamp may have been meant for something else with a curved or cylindrical surface, and was used here to add "merit" to the Movment by who ever was selling it. I show below a 974 that was factory marked "Limited" on a 974 and you can see the difference in marking quality. Hamilton was very proud of such things.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007