Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What is the "Official" NEW PICTURE "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Sorry,
I'm still working on the names of some of the parts of a watch, can you help with this one please?

Does anyone have pictures of the different styles of these items?

Is it just part of the regulator, or does it have it's own name.

Thank you,

Sheila

Part2.jpg

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
Sheila, As you face the pic, the one on the left is a Teske regulator, and the one on the right is a Tuckers regulator. These were add ons to watches to make a normal regulator a micrometric regulator. Some watch companies had a contract with both Teske and Tucker and added them on at the factory--Hampden used the Teske. These could be added to a watch after the fact by a jeweler.

Tom

posted
Tom,
Thank you.

So do I call it by it's name or just regulator?

I'm so confused Big Grin Eek

Sheila

IHC Member 660

posted
Sheila,
We would probably class these as "micrometer regulators", which eventaully became required on RR watches. The obvious objective is to make a small, precise, and repeatable adjustment. Screw threads are an obvious choice, and you could almost say that free sprung balances with timing screws are micrometer regulated. Other options are snail cams and geared star wheels.
Mike

Posts: 48 | Location: Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: December 24, 2005
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Sheila,
The regulator is the part that fits on the balance bridge. I believe the correct name for the parts you posted are, regulator index.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
posted
Hi Sheila,
I would also take both Mike H & Brian C's descriptions to add 'Micrometer Index' to your vocabulary, you'll probably come across all these variations at some point.
Best regards
John.

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
OK, Now I get it!

I knew that the regulator was in the balance bridge, so I got confused, and this explains it great for me. Thank you all for the information.

Really great EXTRA information too!

I still have a lot to learn, but I am going to get this if it kills me.

Once in the head, it's forever, it's just GETTING IT THERE!!!! lolol

Sheila

posted
Hi Sheila,
The balance 'bridge' is more usually known as the balance 'Cock' in both wrist and pocket watches. (also in platform escapements in clocks).

If you can get hold of a Bestfit book or even a watch parts manual, they've all got 'exploded' views of watch components together with their names.

Don't let it kill you though lass, it'd defeat the object Big Grin, not that big a deal anyway and we've all been there.
Your knowledge and vocabulary will build up faster than you know ...... and everyone of us is still learning!
Best regards
John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Thank you John,
However, sometimes it's hard when someone writes:

If there is a (@#$^$@*& next to the )#(%^^ then it's a )($&&#^&

hehehehe

I have to admit that I have learned a lot in the past few years and I'm actually getting to know some watches that I never knew before, but I just have to learn these babies, I have a million questions, and the parts need names.

I have some of the examples of parts you mentioned, but with so many, that have different part to them, it's hard to say what some of them are. I guess I will just have to keep posting until I get what I need.

I HAVE learned that it takes time, and we do learn as we go, that's for sure.

Experience IS the best way to learn.

Sheila

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Sheila,
Here is an example of a Teske's Regulator on a Hampden watch.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Hey Sheila, now we Both know what a Teske's regulator is Big Grin ...........even those of us that's been 'doin' watches for a while learn something everyday!
Thanks Tom, you just enlarged my watch vocabulary too Big Grin
American watch component vocab is still something of a 'Grey' area to me!
Best regards
John

posted
Tom,
Wonderful example, thank you.
Beautiful watch! It's examples like this that really help me out, I save the pictures and post the name on them so I can add them to my "Parts" list.
I have been using John Duvall's list, and it's been wonderful, but adding items like this to his list, sure helps to get a huge amount of information, that is essential to my hobby.

John,
You are so right, I have found that eventually, you just HAVE to learn the parts of a watch, and without it, you are just lost.
I'm always pleased when I can add to my list, however, I would be a lot happier if I could get them into my head, and make them stick.

Thank you,

Sheila