Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois 18s question - Model 1 or Model 2? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1650
posted
According to the Pocket Watch Database, serial #227150 is a Model 2, Grade 101. When I look at the December 1923 Illinois Materials list, my movement matches the 1st Model illustration. This movement is key or stem wind and lever set.
Can anyone tell me what I really have?

Thanks

Doug

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 17, 2011
IHC Member 1650
posted
Photo 2

IHC Member 1650
posted
photo 3

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
11 Jewel Model 2, grade 101s. While still a hunter, it was made as a stem wind. Model 1 while still a grade 101 was key wind. The first model 2 lever set was very interesting, lightly sprung. The torque load of winding kept the mainspring wheels engaged, and the lever kept the setting wheels positively locked.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Doug,
The regulator of your movement matches the model 1 but as Dave posted the winding mechanism is the feature that identifies your movement. Illinois watches are often identifiable by features. Below is a list found in the Illinois Watch Co. book by Meggers and Ehrhardt.

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
And here's some information from the same book relating to your Transitional Model.

RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010