Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin 18s W.I. First run 19j For Real!!! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I was gonna hold my breath til this came in but discovered that I may not survive that so I am just waiting to celebrate if this Elgin S/N 14866852 is what it looks like instead of what it was advertised to be (with "2 seconds hands") Roll Eyes

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Dave, that is one kool looking watch.... Cool

It's for sure, I have never seen anything like it....

Hope it's all you expect it to be....

Regards
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Is that a 40 hour wind indicator?

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Looks like it to me, Steve.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
quote:

Dave, this is the first Grade 240 with wind indicator I've seen. Plus, everything looks to be in great, correct shape. The 240 is my favorite Elgin, with that unusual 18s size combined with three-quarter 19j movement, but none of mine are this nice. Great dial. A true railroad watch, in the same class with Father Time and Veritas in my opinion. I'm glad you got this.

J.Elgin

Posts: 58 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: June 29, 2008
Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Dave - if those are the auction pictures, then I think you got yourself a beautiful, uncommon watch! Please let us know when it arrives if it is a described.

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
Dave, beautiful watch! Here is a picture of one I bought last year. Serial number is 14,814,264.

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
And here is the dial.

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
It got here. Unbelievable. I have been waiting for some time to get one like this!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Any suggestions how to brighten up the dial without messing up the markings?

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Nice movement, in the first 39 hours it gained 18 seconds! Needs cleaning! Looks like the wind set wheel goes right through the "19 Jewels" marking!

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Now comes the time to figure out how to disassemble and clean this very complex duplex wheel system that winds the indicator up from the winding wheel and unwinds it from the motor (1st) wheel.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Well . . . at least it is here, so all is well that ends well (so far Roll Eyes)

IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
David,

That's a good one. High grade Elgin movements are by far the most ornate of all the American brands. Really beautiful example! Excellent maximum size balance wheel with those huge gold screws...there you have a fine watch!

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Donald Trumble
posted
David,

Congratulations on that find. Yours has the metal dial that is uncommon to find with the original finish intact. Those dials were impregnated with silver and were claimed to be more visible. I doubt it could be duplicated today so it should be treated with care. Bruce's watch has a porcelain dial with an identical design showing they are both from the same time period.

It is nice to see these fine 19 Jewel watches getting the attention they deserve.

Don

Posts: 504 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: April 02, 2005
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
David, first of all CONGRATULATIONS!!

Once the 'new' wears off, you can mail it on over to me. I'll email my address later. Wink

Second, if I recall correctly from my reading, Elgin offered the service of changing existing BWR's to W.I.'s for a price. If the gear is drilled through the engraved '19', I'd say what you have is one that had this service performed after the watch had been purchased in a standard BWR configuration. The 240 grade 19j BWR made up almost 1/2 of all 18s 3/4 plate movements Elgin ever produced.

Either way, it's one to definitely treasure.

These big old 18s high jewel railroad Elgins are just wonderful timepieces, and accurate as the dickens....one of those watches that just make you smile anytime you pull them out to check the time....at least mine do. Smile

HIGH regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
David,
Well, you can take a breath now. You have a very fine and desirable watch. Show it to us when you get it cleaned up.
I was at a large gun show this past January and a junkie dealer had a non-working Waltham Vanguard WI. The price was very reasonable but I didn't take it at the time. I walked around looking for a while then decided to go back and take another look at the watch, it was gone! I can still kick myself for not getting it when I had the opportunity.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
David Nice watch All of these i have seen had the pinion going thriugh the 19 or 21 jewel marking.I belive they were all that way..

Nice find. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
David you got a nice elgin.Good catch did you get that on ebay if so there are still deals to be had if you look hard anough.I used to but I don't look as mutch as I use to.One of the wind indiacator's I have I got it that way all it said was vanguard nothing about it being a wind indicator I saw the dial and that why I bid on it sure anough a wind indicator when I got it.I also like the case on yours.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted

Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Excellent buy, David! And a beauty, too! I know you are very proud of your new addition. Smile

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Will you look at the GOLD on that baby!!!!!

She's a honey, Congratulations!

Ever since I learned about the WI I have tried to purchase one, but boy have they gone up in price!

You got yourself a great deal!!! WOW!!!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Well there's not a lot that has not been said Dave but I would like to offer my congratulations on your newest arrival....It certainly is a beautiful watch and one that you will treasure for some time, I'm sure....That one would be a welcome addition to any collection and we all know that it has found one of the best homes possible....

Way to go....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008