Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hampden 16s Wm. McKinley "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Can anyone give me any background information on a hunter movement Hampden Wm. McKinley 17j that my daughter just carried handed me? Unfortunately it's now housed in an open face Defiance case. Frown

It's serial number is 2072237, marked 'adjusted', and appears to have gold screwdown jewel cups. Double sunk dial with just a very few edge cracks.

Anything you can offer would be appreciated.
(Where's Mike Paynter when you need him? Wink)

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Mark ,you have a model 4 McKinley. They first came out in late 1901 and yours was from about 1906. McKinley who was a friend of John C Dueber. When McKinley was a Congressman he talked the Canton Bussiness community into donating about 20 acres of land and $100,000 to Dueber to bring his Hampden watch company (3000 workers)and his Dueber Watch case company (3000 workers) to Canton. Which left Springfield (Hampden county) hurting for over 20 yrs. Newport KY seemed to fare better than Springfield when the watch case company left. This all started about 1887, they broke ground a while later and opened the watch factory in 1889 and the case factory in early 1890. As for the model you have , they were all hunter till late 1902. The steel escape wheel was intoduced to this watch later on. The open faced 17j models were all pendant set and were good watches but not for railroad use. They did make a 21j hunter at first and later open face which both were lever set and adjusted to 5 positions. In the model 5 McKinley they came out with a 17j adjusted to 3 positions and they all came with a metal dial which from 1916 to they went broke around 1929. John C Dueber died in 1907 and his home as well as his mother in law home next door are now a Funeral Home in Canton. mike

Posts: 87 | Location: Home of Hampden Watches, Canton Ohio USA | Registered: January 18, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Wow interesting info/knowledge THanks to Mark for a great question, something I thought of countless times when looking at some of these names on watches. I remember the story of BW Raymond also but so many others names out there it makes one wonder. Oh Well THanks to Mike I have one less to wonder about now. Mark this might be the start of a great thread anyone could add info of names on watches and where they came from. Like A. Lincoln on Illinois is that actually refering to president Lincoln or not.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
EXCELLENT information, Mike!
By the way, Mike what IS your email address? I tried to reach you last night by the one in your profile, but it bounced back to me. Frown

This one I have is a hunter movement, as I said, and is lever set, by the way, and has a double sunk porcelein dial. So, being in this configuration, and being adjusted, is there a possibility THIS version would have been railroad approved?

THank you VERY much for the information!

I agree, Robert. Hope this one picks up a little more about these interesting little watches.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Cooksey Shugart
posted
quote:
Like A. Lincoln on Illinois is that actually refering to president Lincoln or not.

Yes Rob the A. Llincoln grades 18-16-12 sizes were in memory of Abraham Lincoln, the 16th president. He practiced law in Springfield.
Cooksey

Posts: 62 | Location: Cleveland, Tennessee USA | Registered: November 27, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

I'm a big believer in Hampden Watch Company products. Hampden, along with Rockford, South-Bend and Columbus are little-known and under-rated by many in our hobby. Products from these companies as well as the later Howards may represent some of the last true bargains available in today's watch collecting market.

As Mike pointed out Mark's "Wm. McKinley" was named for a US President from Ohio who was assasinated on September 6, 1901. He was America's most popular president since Lincoln and was succeeded by Theodore Roosevelt. Hampden watches from 1889 on were made in Canton, Ohio which was McKinley's home town and he is still warmly remembered there. Schools, other public buildings and even the local Masonic Lodge bear his name to this day.

Here's some additional history...

William McKinley was the 25th President of the United States

The connection Mike mentioned about President McKinley being a friend of John C. Dueber then brings us to President Lincoln's connection to the Illinois Watches that bear his name. As Cooksey Shugart mentioned above Lincoln practiced law in Springfield where the watches were made and from 1837 to 1841 the future president was a law partner of John T. Stuart, one of the four men who in 1870 founded what became the Illinois Watch Company.

The connections some of our watches have to historical figures is very interesting.

Wm. McKinley 1900 Campaign Poster...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 660

posted
Regarding A. Lincoln, I believe that one of the Bunn family, primary owners of Illinois WC, was in the same law office with Lincoln.

MIke

Posts: 48 | Location: Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: December 24, 2005
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Thanks Mike,

Is that someone else in addition to John T. Stuart that Lindell referenced in his posting above yours?

Debbie

Posts: 5236 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
There is a nice short biography of John Todd Stuart here: http://www.famousamericans.net/johntoddstuart/

Needless to say it does not say much about his connection with the watch company. I suspect his biographers do not consider it important even though it resulted in his name on watches. Wink

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Mark,
I am a baker, school teacher (math) and a Hampden watch nut. From where I teach every night I can see John C. Dueber's house. mike

Posts: 87 | Location: Home of Hampden Watches, Canton Ohio USA | Registered: January 18, 2004
Picture of David A. Vasarab
posted
Just a little side note to this thread... Mr. Dueber was also a non-military pall-bearer for slain President McKinley.

Posts: 76 | Location: Parma, Northern Ohio USA | Registered: January 02, 2006