Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

My "new" Hamilton 925 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Greetings again.
I want to give a shout out to Paul Davis. I recently sent him my new 925 for a COA and I just got it back today. It looks great and is running like a charm as I type!

Posts: 257 | Location: Worthington, Ohio in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
posted
It's in a nice, if slightly worn 20 year B&B Royal case.

Posts: 257 | Location: Worthington, Ohio in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
posted
And that takes me to the dial and a question. I'm guessing that for the most part it's a matter of everybody's own opinion, but is there a general consensus on private labels? Do they add or detract from values or preferences? This one is from W.H. Kress in Cheboygan, Michigan. Personally, I like the private label. I think it adds even more history to the watch.
Thanks again, Paul!

IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Hi Ed,

I don't know if being a Private Label adds or subtracts from the value. Depends on whether someone is looking for a particular PL from where the PL is coming from. The price guide adds value to some private labels and does not mention other PL's. To be sure there are fewer PL's of a particular movement built. I don't care that much for PL's but I do like PL's that have a special finish that sets them apart from the others of the same grade.

As for adding history to the watch, it only adds to the history of that watch if the PL dial is original to the movement. If it was added later to a different movement then to me it is just another pieced together watch. I am not suggesting that is the case here. Now if the dial and movement have the same name on them with or without a special finish then that more than likely suggest they were always together and then it has some history to the watch.

One problem with a PL is that if it came with a dial and movement package and the dial gets damaged it is very difficult to find another private label dial so you are forced either put up with the dial, find another one (almost imposible), or put a period correct dial on it.

I have no idea if that dial goes with that movement or not but if it does then you have a bit of history to go with the watch. If not you still have a bit of history but it only goes with the dial. There are people here that know how to look up your serial number and may be able to tell who the watch was sold to. If the PL dial goes with the movement then that is a big plus. Of course it would only add to the value in my opinion if you found a buyer who would be willing to pay a premium to own that watch.

IMHO,
Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
posted
Thanks for the response, Harry.
You brought up a point I hadn't really given thought to. I was naively thinking that they went together "from birth" so to speak. I hadn't thought about what was probably more common, that they were put together at a later date. I was looking at the private label as a total bonus, because I was believing that they were together from the start. I never gave a thought to the vendor purchasing the watches and dials separately.
But either way is fine with me. I have a nice watch and an interesting dial so I'm a happy camper!
Cheers!
Ed

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Just to add to what Harry said, I think it totally depends on where the watch is 'from', based on the dial marking.

If you were to try and sell it in that location, I'd say you'd get MUCH more than the watch is probably worth due to its provenance.

Otherwise, I'd say it would either break even or fall below actual watch worth, as if a Hamilton collector was looking for a model 925, he'd probably insist on having one with a correct circa Hamilton marked dial, or probably try and dicker down the price using the dial as a detractor to the watch's worth.

I've seen THAT done.

I've seen a LOT of posts over the years of sharp eyed collectors commenting on folks nice watches with 'incorrectly marked' dials that were from a different year than the movement age.

Having a watch with a dial that isn't even marked 'Hamilton', let alone of a store from a location that folks never heard of, let alone care about, can turn folks off.

I know they do me, unless they're from a location I'm living near, or my home town (which I have YET to ever see!)

If the movement is marked with the same information as the dial, then you have an original match up, and THAT interests a particular group of collectors....but once again, it becomes a narrower field of buyers than the general Hamilton collector.

Just my opinion, but at least it's another one to mull over. Wink

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002