Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton salesman's display case "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
I have some questions regarding salesman's display cases. First off, were movements placed in cases at the factory, and if so, how was it determined what movement to put in these cases? I gather that new improved models would have a preference. Second, is there some time frame that would determine an appropriate movement to a particular case? Third, are there different styles or models of cases, as with RR model cases? I picked up a Hamilton display case today and would like to find a nice period movement for it. Finally, there is a cutout for the setting lever, is this original? All information appreciated, and I would certainly like to see some photos . Thanks. Gary

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Gary, Interesting questions. I hope we get some answers from the experts. Smile

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
I agree with Phil, you have posed some interesting questions regarding the Salesman Display Cases....

My guess is that most of the display cases came from the jeweler and he would put the movement of his choice in a case for his salesmen....just a guess though....others with more knowledge will add their input, I'm sure....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hello Gary,

What we call salesman's sample or display cases were used to display a watch pocket watch movement, hands and dial without the bother of fumbling with a case as well as to avoid the risk of foreign matter entering the movement while being demonstrated. These cases were originally designed to simply hold a movement for display purposes, to be a plain-looking utilitarian item, not intended for retail sale.

These pocket watch sample cases came in both 16 and 18-size configuration. They were stamped out of nickel and in the instance of Hamilton, Illinois and Dueber-Hampden carried the watch company name. The fact they were originally inexpensive, often a give-away item to the retailer to help sell watches more readily, distributed in great numbers along with the fact nickel stands up to the ravages of time survival rate is high. They still show up piled in boxes left over from use by retail jewelers.

In this instance of your specific example you mention the lever-cut but did not mention case size. If it is a 16-size Hamilton, check to see if the crown "snaps" into position for a pendant-set movement. That allows a careful collector to occasionally carry such a case and show off their watch while still keeping risk to a minimum. When these are used with a lever-set movement even occasional carrying of the watch would not only be inconvenient due to setting issues, but removing the bezel with any regularity will cause wear that will keep it from snapping shut securely. In other words they are really are a "display only" item.

An increasing number of collectors are using sample cases to display their collection, this will continue to find favor as "gold-scrapping" goes on and more cases are lost forever, far too many dealers look only at short term gain. With this sad and deplorable situation I expect sample cases to be in greater demand for housing some of the more interesting movements.

One more thing, there were also heavier made view-back pocket watch cases that were made specifically to permit the user to show off their movement under glass and today many wrist watches are produced with that desirable feature.

Lindell

Wink

Pendant-Set Ball-Waltham ORRS in sample case...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
These Factory display cases that Lindell has described so well were part of a "family" of styles and three other types I have seen are;
First; Waltham's double Glass faced "Can" that is wire sling-mounted in a wooden box. (pic)
Second; Cases made specifically without bows which seemed to be for "show" but are non-apecific to manufacturer.
Third; Some regular production watch cases that Watchmakers cut out the back cover and installed a Glass crystal so the owners could better "show off" their fine watch without opening it.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
I have a Hampden 18 size sling mounted display case, it is styled more like a conventional watch case. I will post a picture later.

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Thanks for the replies everyone, the case I had referred to is a size 16, Hamilton marked piece.
The stem does snap into winding position and the back bezel is not as snug as the front. Regards. Gary

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Hi Gary, I can remember seeing display cases without crystals trashed behind a jewelery store in Atlantic Iowa. Interestingly, Dueber-Hampden cases were made without bails as they were for display only. Also Dueber cases are sometimes found with a gold wash at least in 18 size. I have a 23j New Railway in one. Finally, Jewelers could purchase better quality nickle snap on cases presumably for other makes. I have had a few and they are just a bit nicer than say the Hamilton cases. Also, some people have made display cases out of nickle cases with screw backs and bezels.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
posted
I have always assumed display backs were all on open face cases, threaded, and interchangeable with the front bezel until I found this hunter case model that has a snap-on glass back.

The case maker's logo is plain to see and fairly common. Does anyone know the name of the case maker?

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Mike

Nice case & watch. That symbol was from the Dueber Watch Case Mfg. Company, Canton & Cincinnati, OH & Chicago, Il., it was issued July 19, 1887 for claim Filled Cases for watches. This is from page 99 of US Horological Trademark Index by Meyers.

Tom

case mark

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Much grass, Tom! I inked it in Cooksie's book where it is not identified. I presume he is turned away from his bench and holding up a watch there that reads about 12:15. He's got knobby knees. Haha!

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Well your better at deciphering that than me, I had no idea what he was doing.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Either he is holding up a pocket watch, or he is "shielding" something from harm - as would a watch case; something like that.

posted
The logo is a naked Gladiator holding a shield in one hand and a sword in the other.

Posts: 2 | Location: Aberdeen in Scotland | Registered: October 15, 2009