Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

This is a first for me! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Sitting here everyday I see all kind of quick fixes from simple glue to special broken staff extension jewels Big Grin but this is a first for me to find this, the arms of the balance glued together Eek
Hairspring looks a little tired also....

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Well that does take the cake! Do you think they really thought the wheel had broken since it was split?

Let me see the hairspring after you put that back in a coil.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Hey Chris, that's not one of mine is it.... Big Grin

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
posted
HI Chris, Yes,this really takes the cake!
But honestly,...are you really going to be able to put that hairspring back to life? I am asking this because I spent countless hours straightening up badly mangled hairsprings with mixed results and I know how nerve-wracking this kind of activity can be!

Regards
Peter

Posts: 192 | Location: Vicenza in Italy | Registered: February 04, 2009
posted
Chris

Take the whole thing to the next hairdressing saloon

The hairspring obvious got wet and needs a fresh permanent wave. Think it will curl again fine.

Have fun Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Looks like a good candidate for one of those replacement hair springs that Ed Kitner found and mentioned in the Hamilton section! Wink

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Oh my! even someone as brain dead as I am, can see the joke in that one. How funny! Must have been drunk, or was really mad at someone.

Made my day! hehehe

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Just when you think you have seen it all.... Confused something like this comes along. What were they thinking??!!??

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
The hairsrping was creased so would never survive any shaping, either way a bit far gone, the upper and lower jewels where totally smashed also, this was a good case for a dive in my parts watch cabinet!.
Must have been a big blob of glue its all over the screws also. Forgot to mention both pallet jewel where upright after being forced over the escape wheel Eek that amount of force also broke the escape pinion. Other that that its just needed a clean...........

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003