Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Who makes Monitor Case? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Yes me again with a case that I'm sure is made by one of the larger case companies, but all it has marked on it is Monitor. It's housing a 1920 South Bend 219.
Any ideas?

Thank you all again, Roland.

R. Glenn

Posts: 437 | Location: Ryde, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom | Registered: January 18, 2010
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Monitor was made by [Illinois Watch Case Company of] Elgin[,Illinois] according to Ehrhardt's trademarks book.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Hi Edward, really this is made by Elgin...hmmm.
This case has held up well for a 5yr. Should this case be with an Elgin movement then? I have a nice period correct Fahys Montauk 20yr 16s kicking around that I'll swap the South Bend into as this movement has been recased anyways.

Nice to know and thanks Edward its very much appreciated!

Roland.

R. Glenn

Posts: 437 | Location: Ryde, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom | Registered: January 18, 2010
IHC Member 1110
posted
Hey Roland, thanks for asking this Monitor question, I was about to ask the same question.I know there were a lot of Monitor cases around.My 18s Elgin No. 349 lives in a Monitor.I can remember seeing one that was also marked 15 or 20 years, I don't remember which., Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Sorry Roland and Ted, we all make mistakes, I make them often Roll Eyes and Ed made one in his post above in this topic. It is now [corrected] for accuracy in the bracketed areas shown.

Fact is the "MONITOR" name on cases was Trade-Marked by the Illinois Watch Case Company of Elgin, Illinois. This company, although located in the same city as the Elgin Watch Company, was unrelated to them or any other company. It is also important to point out the Illinois Watch Case Company of Elgin, Illinois and the Illinois Watch Company of Springfield, Illinois were not related in any way either.

Back to MONITOR cases, there are a couple in my collection and I like them very much.

As to originality, remember watch movements were predominately cases and timed by the selling retailer in a case of the buyer's choice from those available at the time. This changed gradually beginning early in the 20th Century with the increasing popularity of 12-size factory-cased movements. Their success led to factory casing of RailRoad Watches to in order assure reliability in service. By the 1920s this became widespread and by the 1930s very few movements were available as "movement-only" from the manufacturers.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Lindell and others. Monitor as a case mark may have been used by more than one manufacturer over time,mergers etc. I am attaching two pictures of a very nice Hunter GF case I have with a watch paper marked"U.S.W.C.Co." serial number 323558 matching the serial number stamped on the case cuvette stamped "Monitor" and 323558. I understand that"U.S.W.C.Co." was sued for patent infringement by J. Boss or Keystone.

Posts: 198 | Location: Vermilion, Ohio in the USA | Registered: May 14, 2003
posted
Watch paper

Posts: 198 | Location: Vermilion, Ohio in the USA | Registered: May 14, 2003
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Monitor was registered by several watch case companies. The Illinois Watch Case Co. of Elgin Il registered the name for watch cases on June 8, 1927 & listed they had used the name since 1892 or earlier.

It was also registered with the Brooklyn Watch Case Co. on April 15, 1879.

I am not positive but I think the Fahy brother's owned the Brooklyn Watch Case Co., the Unites States Watch Case Co., Fahy's Watch Case Co.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Thanks for adding more to the Monitor Case thread. Very interesting and those Fahy's brothers were a busy bunch.

Roland

R. Glenn