Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Silly question about Hamilton 975 detent screw "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1016
posted
I have this 975 and cannot seem to be able to remove it from the case. My question regards the screw I have circled. I assume this is a detent screw to hold the stem but do not know if it should be removed entirely, or just loosened. I tried loosening it a bit but still cannot seem to get the stem to release from the movement.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
posted
Mike-

It should only be able to be loosened. The early detent unfinished hamilton plates I have do not allow the screw to be fully unscrewed. I'm assuming you would have to split the plates to remove it fully.

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
IHC Member 1613
posted
I would try loosening it a little more maybe a 1/4 turn at a time until the stem can be pulled out..The screw will not come out unless that plate is off the watch..Worse thing that could happen is the detent screw will come out of the set lever(i think that is what it is called) and you would have to take the dial off the watch to reattach it ..Good Luck.

Posts: 2010 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
posted
I think that is a cap screw and has to be removed
to get at the detent screw.

Posts: 39 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 16, 2011
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Mike I wish I could help. I have the 972, 976 and a 975 but none are in a case. The last one I got it looked like someone broke the winding stem to remove the movement in order to sell the case. The only way I can see is to remove the plate. I have done this on my movements and the screw and lever come right out once the plate has been removed.

Mike try this; I just checked my movement that is not in a case hand has no winding stem. If you turn that screw counter clockwise it moves the lever toward the top of the opening away from the winding stem. If you turn the screw clockwise it runs the lever in so the the lever is locked into the notch in the winding stem. The screw will not come out with the plate on. My guess is if you turn the screw in the further most counter clockwise position you may be able to left the winding stem out and free the movement from the case. You may need to rotate the stem that I am not sure of. That is what it looks like to me.

Posts: 3858 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Mike, back the stud out as far as it will go (counter clock wise.) It will not come out of the pillar plate. keep the watch dial side / pillar plate up. The stem should come out when pulled and maybe wiggled easly.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
On the early Hamilton "detent" type stems, there is a "plate" screw as in your picture. Once removed there will be another screw down in the recess that needs to be counter screwed enough to allow the stem to be extracted. The second screw is attached to the "stem-block" that keeps the stem in place and when counter screwed this "stem-block" moves upward and away from the stem, allowing for stem removal.

I have 2 pictures;

regards,
bb

Picture#1 [Plate screw Removed]

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Picture#2; [Access the "stem-block" screw & counter-clockwise enough to remove stem]

regards,
bb

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Buster do you have two screws in that hole? I have never encountered that before. I just replaced a broken set lever that is on the stud/ screw that shows through the bbl plate. The end that is in the hole in the bbl plate just recesses in the hole on the bbl plate and the threaded end screws into the pillar plate. The set lever in on this stud/screw and is held on with a small collar that screws on.

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
I believe there were two different types Edward Eek But don't quote me on that Frown

My movement I pictured has NO arrow on the movement, the same as Mike's. Usually if you have an arrow engraved on the movement, then turning it in the arrows direction will back the "stem-block" away from the stem allowing it to be removed.

My movement is missing the plate screw, but the "stem-block" screw is down in the recess as pictured. My movement which is a 975 also, has threads for a plate screw to hide the "stem-block" screw. On Mike's it appears the screw we are looking at fits flush with the top of the plate. Now the ones with an "arrow" engraved on the pillar plate, generally fit flush and I don't believe they have a plate screw. I am of the opinion that we are looking at a "cap" screw on Mike's movement that once removed counter clockwise, we will find the "stem-block" screw further down into the recess.

Perhaps Mike at some point will collaborate or refute what I "think" I am seeing by trying to remove the screw. At any rate the instructions given should free his stem.

I am not a watchmaker, I am not a watchmaker, I am not a watchmaker...............

But I like this stuff Big Grin

And try to give helpful information Frown

Is there a Hamilton Doctor in the house Confused

regards,
bb

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Thanks for clearing that up for me Buster. I have only come across the other type. I had no idea your type existed even though I knew Hamilton changed this systen a couple of times before they went to the lever.
If Mike backs that screw out he will know what type he has.

Sorry about the confusion Mike!

IHC Member 1610
posted
Of my three none have an arrow. Two are recessed with no cap screw the 975 and the 976, the 972 is flush just like Mike's and the screw will not come out. However all three work the same. Counter clockwise moves the lever away from the stem and clockwise moves the lever towards the stem.

IHC Member 1016
posted
Well, Buster was correct. i took out the cap screw, loosened the screw under that, tuned the watch face down, and out came the stem, and then the movement. Worked like a charm. Thanks to all. Buster, i take back all that stuff I said about you Smile Roll Eyes Eek

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Good going Mike!

I just checked the 974/972's I have..
972 - 74401 - Arrow - no cap screw

972 - 64486 - No arrow - no cap screw

974 - 300827 - Arrow - no cap screw

974 - 72509 _ Arrow - no cap screw

This one has an extra hole? It appears to have been drilled after production.

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
The type you are showing Edward with the extra hole Big Grin

Is for another screw that is missing Eek

That missing screw "meshes" with the screw that is there and keeps the screw from moving which would allow the stem to come out. It's a locking head type screw that is missing.

I'm sorry that I don't have the technical names for all these different parts I have mentioned in this post.

Glad to get that stem out Mike and all I can say is, it could of been a bigger town Big Grin

Next Smile

regards,
bb

IHC Member 1610
posted
Buster is a walking encyclopedia of watch parts and versions especially for someone who "does not work on watches".

IHC Member 1613
posted
This discussion was very interesting..I have been working on watches for 30+ years and have never ran accross one of these Hamiltons with the cap screw on the detent screw...I learn something new today...Thanks...

Posts: 2010 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011