• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

lever type set pocket watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
i was just wondering if anyone might know where i can find a diagram of how a lever type setting watch works..i have repair guides with pendant type setting guides, but not lever type setting watches..

Posts: 4 | Location: Janesville, Wisconsin USA | Registered: June 28, 2007
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Welcome Aboard Adam!

One of our "Award Winning John D. Duvall's Helping Hand Tutorials" is a good starting point in "Components of a Pocket Watch" understanding. Click both the live links for worthwhile information.

Also the "Complete Guide to Watches" provides a tremendous amount of information. We can provide you with the latest edition for only $27.95 postpaid to any address in the world.

I recently photographed a South-Bend Grade 290 for one of our members who needed to make a replacement part for his watch. In the merged image below you will the lever and clutch mechanism. Perhaps a close look at these images along with John's tutorial will help you further.

In the upper image the lever is at rest and the watch can be wound, the setting clutch is disengaged. Then in the lower image the lever is pulled out which disengages winding and engages setting of the hands. I merged them so you can readily look back and forth to more easily understand how this works.

Lindell

This should help you understand how it works...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
heey thanks again for the pics..they realy helped..i can see now that its pretty much the same princible as the pendant type setting, only instead of pulling up the crown and stem to engage the clutch,your pulling the lever to engage the clutch..now i have a visual on how it works..thanks allot

Posts: 4 | Location: Janesville, Wisconsin USA | Registered: June 28, 2007