Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Columbus "Shriner's" Watch? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I saw this Columbus Hunter Cased 18s on eBay and got lucky. It came today and surpassed my expectations. Running at RR Quality 17998-18002 time, I do not dare touch the movement.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Which has a two tone Gold Embossed treatment very similar to the world famous benevolent order of Shriner's symbol . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Overall the watch presents very well . . .

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
with a well detailed "Columbia" case . . .

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
and a beautifully finished dial and movement

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Any opinions if this was made as a "Shriner's" watch?

posted
It is a very nice looking watch but I think maybe a giant leap of faith would be necessary to get it to the "Shrine Watch" category. The crescents are both inverted and the star has too many points compared to the picture you are showing of the "Shrine" symbol.
Regards, John

Posts: 299 | Location: Mount Brydges, Ontario, Canada | Registered: November 10, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Thanks, I noticed the many pointed star, maybe "suggestive". Imaginative and well executed. See how the damaskeened patterns fall into the Gold embossing.

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
David, this is simply a very beautiful watch to look at and I would have no idea as to whether or not it is a Shriner or not....

I can see your reasoning but will agree with John that the difference in the "Star" rules it out for me....

Best Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
posted
David-

You and I must have similar tastes. First the Cosmos Rockford, now the two-tone columbus... you just keep picking these up and I keep thinking about buying thema nd letting them go!

Here is one I picked up lately. The fob is from the "Knights of the Maccabees" (KOTM). I hadn't run into this group before, kind of an odd one though when you read the history on them. The watch is in average condition and is a 17 jewel 1883 waltham, but the fob is now one of my nicest ones.

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009