Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Quiz Question "Click" to Login or Register 

posted
16sz Elgin 19j

Smells like someone dunked the movement in breakfree or some other nasty stuff. Oh it is really bad - you can see it oozing out the plate screws. Even with the oil dripping off the hairspring still had decent motion at the balance wheel, but the pallet fork was not moving.

Here is a picture - what could ever be wrong Roll Eyes

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The roller wheel and jewel appear to have indexed away from the corresponding notch on the safety roller which prevents proper cycling of the pallet fork. The result, the fork will not cycle at all, instead it will appear to be "overbanked". Because of the general description of this watch, it should be completely disassembled, cleaned, inspected and the balance assembly properly adjusted and poised.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
I'm not a watch repair person . . . but it looks like the safety roller notch is not centered over the impulse jewel.

Posts: 301 | Location: Ogallala, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: August 27, 2005

posted
You can see the oil film sitting on the edge of the dial

posted
And some puddles of the smelly green stuff - LoL

posted
So Jon, are you going resurrect the watch to live to see another day?

Posts: 301 | Location: Ogallala, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: August 27, 2005
posted
Almost seems as though someone blasted it with 'Simple Green' ...doesn't it?

Posts: 29 | Location: Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2013

posted
Joe,

Fingers crossed - the movement pieces are soaking/bubbling away...

Some soft scrub and old tooth brush have the old dial at the position of attention Smile

posted
Whew . . . nice! I noticed the dial was in good condition.

posted
Dave - surely needed a complete tear down and clean. Got lucky on the balance wheel, though, was not bent and the roller table was just free and spinning between the bottom of the hub and the safety roller. I guess the good thing about the previous green oil bath there surely was no rust Big Grin

Off and running, again...

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Is that a 19J Grade 455? Beautifully done. Excellent condition, the green goo may have preserved it. Good Save!!!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007

posted
Yes Sir - you know your Grades... 455

Made roughly 1919, 2nd yr, I believe

Thanks for the kind words - fun to save them, but it aint no fast process for sure

posted
Yes - Yes - Yes! When you get there, maybe a pix with the dial and hands on, and maybe even a pix cased.

IHC Life Member
posted
Wow Jon, nice work!

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
I once had a watch that stunk to high heaven. It was terrible. I COA'd it and sold it & all is good. Then a few months later I was in a automotive repair shop and caught a whiff of the same oder. Turns out it was Amsoil ATF. For $11.00 a quart they could kill the stink a little. So my conclusion is that the previous owner used ATF to oil the watch.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011

posted
Evan - thank U STRANGER, danger...

Patrick, I concur 100%