Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham ? Help identifying "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Douglas Addy
posted
I have the following 18sz watch (pictures as follows). I cannot seem to identify this watch. The quality seems very good. Looks similar to a Waltham Mod 1883 but S/N dates to 1874-1875. Picture of Movement in next post

Doug

Collage

Posts: 138 | Location: Magdalena, New Mexico USA | Registered: April 01, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of Douglas Addy
posted
Movement:

MARKED RAILWAY TIME KEEPER 21-JEWELS NUMBER 785630

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Doug

posted
Hi Doug,

What you have is what is most commonly called a Swiss fake.. A watch made by the Swiss during the last half of the 1800's that is made to look like an American manufactured watch.. This one happens to look like a Waltham Modle 83..If you notice there is no recognizable Waltham markings on the top plate...

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
It also looks like it only has 15 jewels (maybe only 11) rather than the 21 as marked. The un-cut balance wheel is another indication of a lower grade watch. Still, it is better quality than some of these, and in very nice condition with a great dial and case! An excellent example of the genre.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of Douglas Addy
posted
Thanks for all the help. I sort of thought this might be the answer. Not the one I wanted but none the less the correct one.
Yes the watch does run, it is lever set and has a very nice feel to it. I will clean and retain as a quality Swiss fake.

Doug